Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This forum is community powered. Please be mindful that long time community members are here to help as part of a community effort!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure), please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us) as this is the official path for support by our team. Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community. :-)

TOPIC: Unraid NAS with large music library

Unraid NAS with large music library 5 months 2 weeks ago #41552

• xrqp
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I have an Unraid NAS with a large music library. I hope to use iPad as a control point to see the library and control what plays on the SHD. My Unraid NAS is always on and can do SMB and NFS. I am hoping I do not also have to run a computer.

1) Can this work well with SHD series and certain software?

2) Some products store the music index (music library index) on the iPad control point, while the streamer is also the server and sees the Unraid NAS music files as if they were attached to the streamer and plays them. Can SHD streamers do this?

If possible, please give 2 separate answers to these 2 separate questions.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Unraid NAS with large music library 5 months 3 days ago #41742

• Juoigâ
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
1) yes, you can connect any shared drive as source to volumio. Control from iPad using the Volumio webinterface

2) afaik all indices are stored pn the Volumio system (the SHD) so no new indexing when you use another device like your iPhone for control

Unraid NAS with large music library 5 months 3 days ago #41753

• xrqp
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
It would be nice if miniDSP employee could answer #2.

Thanks, Juoiga. Do you think the index is stored on SHD because when you use a control point (like iphone) for the first time, it seems to have access to all the files immediately (or very quickly)?
Last Edit: 5 months 3 days ago by xrqp.

Unraid NAS with large music library 4 months 2 weeks ago #42066

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1037
@xrqp

Juoiga is indeed correct. Indexing is done inside the volumio system on the SHD. The control endpoint (your PC/MAC/Ipad gui) has nothing to do with indexing. Hoping this answers your questions.

devTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: xrqp
Moderators: devteam