Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This forum is community powered. Please be mindful that long time community members are here to help as part of a community effort!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure), please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us) as this is the official path for support by our team. Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community. :-)

TOPIC: Feature request: Variable Loudness control

Feature request: Variable Loudness control 4 months 3 weeks ago #40992

• Dj7675
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello
A worthwhile feature request in my opinion would be a variable loudness control. When setting up dirac curves etc you get your sound correct really at 1 volume level. If you like to listen at different volumes it presents some challenges. I could create a few different presets for this but a much better solution would be a variable loudness control that boosts/cuts frequencies based on the volume. I have uploaded the McIntosh variable loudness curves which is based on the percent the loudness knob was turned. Not sure if it is helpful or useful or not. To me it would be one of the most important features and it adjusts frequencies based on human hearing (Fletcher-Munson). The SHD is a fantastic unit but I think this is one feature that could improve day to day music listening a great deal.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Feature request: Variable Loudness control 4 months 3 weeks ago #41005

• zzz2496
  • Fresh Boarder
Maybe you need to move this to Forum->General->Suggestion Box. There are several requests about this already in there. I hope the devs will see that the community prefer this feature to be implemented ;)

Feature request: Variable Loudness control 4 months 3 weeks ago #41006

• Dj7675
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Appreciate the suggestion. After posting wasn't sure where best to post it. It would seem to be a feature that could be implemented in many of their current and future products. This product, in particular, aimed at the audiophile market, would seem to make the most senses. Customers that want to hear music properly at whatever volume you feel like would be a welcome feature. Many may not have heard a true variable loudness control before as the feature has been removed from many current products. If you haven't ever heard a component with variable loudness control(not a simple loudness button) you really should. It is included still on most of the Yamaha Integrated Amps and stereo amps or on McIntosh Preamps (older ones). Or in current home theater units there is Dolby Volume or Audissey Dynamic EQ. Hopefully this can be implemented in the future because the Minidsp SHD is a fantastic product-great preamp, room correct, crossovers etc. Really enjoy mine.

Feature request: Variable Loudness control 4 months 3 weeks ago #41008

• zzz2496
  • Fresh Boarder
I agree. IIRC the devs wrote something about implementing dynamic loudness, but it will use a lot of DSP resources thus it is quite hard to implement. I suggested what if they make a SHD unit that has multiple SHARC units to achieve whatever we (users) want/need. They can increase the price but the flexibility is there, it is real... Hopefully this thread is seen by the devs... Dynamic loudness is in demand !!! :)
Moderators: devteam