Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: "Magic" numbers for amount of taps

"Magic" numbers for amount of taps 1 year 2 months ago #37236

• Leif
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello!

Till some weeks ago I always though, that the more taps you have, the better the result will be. In general I still think this is true, if you make a big jump from for 1000 to 2000 the result gets better, if it was not good at 1000 already.

But then I tried an example, where the amount of taps was very limited. I played around a little bit with the amount of taps and sometimes it good better when I reduced the amount of taps slightly. I checked if it helps, if the amount is = 2^n, but that does not seem to be the case.

Does anyone have an explanation for this?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

"Magic" numbers for amount of taps 1 year 2 months ago #37243

• pos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 196
Hello Leif,

There should not be any magic number with taps: normally the larger the number of taps the better.
There is of course a point of diminishing return, but things should not get worse when enlarging the FIR.

There are two functions in rephase that are not fully predictable and that might play a role in what you are seeing: energy centering (although I doubt it is the culprit here) and optimization. Both of these mechanisms might give different results depending on the number of taps.
download the last version of rephase here: rephase.org
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by pos.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam
Moderators: devteam