Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: rePhase:windowing overhaul

rePhase:windowing overhaul 5 years 5 months ago #18033

• pos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 196
I am planning an overhaul of the windowing implementation for the next version, and would like to remove a few no-that-useful (in filter design context) window algorithms.
Dropping support of course means that presets using them will not work as intended in future rephase versions.
So I need to know if some of you are using these windows, and/or would like to see them stay for some reason.

So here goes the endangered windows list:

- complex (only useful for phase-only correction when centering is set to exact sample values, which is not recommended anyway)
- cosine
- lanczos
- triangular
- bartlett
- bartlett-hann
- flat top (that one had a broken implementation, especially in the last version. it is now fixed but does not appear that useful...)
https//wavetracing.com | rephase.org
The administrator has disabled public write access.

rePhase:windowing overhaul 5 years 5 months ago #18161

• Langston Holland
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Thomas:

Your work with rePhase is stunning. I am new to it and just in awe of how much horsepower you've managed to build into this piece of software while keeping it so user friendly. Thank you!

As to the windowing functions, I've tried them all in various situations and find some minor advantages at times with the non-standard types when nearing the noise floor. Generally I have found that Blackman, Hamming and Rectangular are the most useful by far and I could live without the others.

Something that would be extremely helpful in a future version is the option to allow the imported complex measurement to remain fixed, while a second trace shows the phase and equalization adjustments the user makes. The easiest way I've found to EQ a raw measurement in other software is to invert the measurement trace, and then adjust the EQ on a second trace so that it follows the variations of the measurement trace. This makes filter Q settings visually intuitive and eliminates much of the guess work. With software that doesn't allow inverting traces, I follow the same curve overlapping procedure and then reverse the EQ gains (from -3dB to +3dB for example).

It looks to me like you may already be working on something like this with the upcoming "Capture" features. :)

God bless you and your precious family - Langston
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thunderstruck

rePhase:windowing overhaul 5 years 5 months ago #18171

• pos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 196
Hi Langston

Thank you for your kind words :)

The measurement inversion is a very good proposal!
I think I did use that functionality from time to time in smaart 5 and it made EQing easier indeed.
I will see if I can implement something like that in a (the?) next version.
https//wavetracing.com | rephase.org
Last Edit: 5 years 5 months ago by pos.
Moderators: devteam