Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: positive feedback from a long term user (4 years)

positive feedback from a long term user (4 years) 1 month 2 weeks ago #50140

• JayM
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I can't even remember when I bought and used this. It would have been in 2016 maybe. In that time I have had simply positive experiences with it, including having interaction with the posters on this board. My only instrument is a multimeter - so if you want some hard measurements I won't be supplying any, and what follows is entirely subjective and is bases only on my use case.

I am still running the original firmware - one of the reasons that led me to purchase this unit in the first place is the firmware runs 96 kHz, and I chose to rip all my music to 24/96 wav files using dbpoweramp way back when. I think 24/96 rips sounded better than 16/44.

I applied 3M RFI noise absorbing sheets to enclose the transformer and that made a small difference - probably not justifiably so from a cost/benefit perspective, but I did it anyway.

I run AES-EBU into the device, and daisy chain to the other unit. I have been very satisfied with the sound, so much so I haven't bothered to upgrade the unit itself, rather have been playing with other items in the chain, notably the AES/EBU source. The unit has been very transparent to changes I make upstream, which allows me to scratch that particular itch, and not worry about this device.

My lxmini is designed around the minidsp family of devices. Apart from my contentment with the sonic quality, what I like most about this device is the ease of the software. I have played around with various crossover configurations, and with the phone app, I can switch between any of the 4 configurations on the fly.

Diagnostics are very easy. I had a polarity issue in one speaker that I was unaware of that manifested in cancellation around the crossover frequencies that I heard as that one side being softer than the other. When I finally set out to diagnose the issue, I was able to mute the High pass and the low pass separately and run both speakers with the same driver running and flip the polarity on one and listen if any cancellation was happening. Much to my surprise and embarassment (with myself) I had been listening for over a year to the system with the polarities flipped. I heard cancellation on the full range drivers. I had mistakenly attributed this to the lxmini design initially so when I set it right I heard the design in its full glory. I am still so embarassed with my obviously cloth ears.

It was just so easy and the GUI made it so simple to do. When I evaluated crossover options, again, the ease of set up and the facility with which I could change made the assessment so painless. I was also able to test a few settings independently and see how the sonics changed.

I used to live in an area which had power fluctiations that used to eat up UPS and voltage regulators for breakfast, say 150V-290V over a day, and I had these units plugged into the wall and never skipped a beat.

I am sure there are better things out there, but I am remain satisfied with these devices, and would happily recommend them for the value they give.

Some pics of my sytem today.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The administrator has disabled public write access.

positive feedback from a long term user (4 years) 1 month 2 weeks ago #50143

• xnwrx
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
Hi,
Thank you for this feedback.
I do also love these PWR-ICE Units, for three reasons ;
- good amplifiers
- daisy-chaining (AES/EBU) which is really really a great feature
- FIR filters
Hopefully miniDSP will continue this product which is awesome.

Can you please post picture of 3M Sheet you put around transformers ? Did it remove some noise ?
I have two PWR-ICE125 and two PWR-ICE250, and one set of 125+250 is noisy (the other set has less noise) so that I had to lower down the volume at the input by 6dB.

positive feedback from a long term user (4 years) 1 month 1 week ago #50204

• JayM
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Here's 2 pictures

Here's what I did and yes the hissing and hum went down, but to be honest it's probably turned out to be an expensive way of getting that result. If I could be bothered to remove the power supply transformer and have it away from the rest of the unit it might have achieved the same thing but I was too lazy to try plus all that gets a bit dicey.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by JayM. Reason: reattach image

positive feedback from a long term user (4 years) 1 month 1 week ago #50210

• xnwrx
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
Thank you Jay, I will give it a try.
Moderators: devteam