Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: OpenDRC-AN tiny little sound

OpenDRC-AN tiny little sound 6 years 5 months ago #12471

• chmed
  • Fresh Boarder
I finally put my new OpenDRC-AN box on my desk to test and familiarize myself. I'm finding that I can feed it signal and it shows up on the meters (both input and output) but I'm getting a faint bleed on the outputs. Since the device I'm listening with (Metric Halo ULN2) is also a mic preamp I can gain it up some 60db and faintly hear the signal. I'm curious if I have a hardware problem or something else I'm missing. When I downloaded the plug-in (minisharc 4x8) I noticed that there is a new firmware from a couple weeks ago. But it seems that firmware updates aren't supported on my mac OS. Is this correct?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

OpenDRC-AN tiny little sound 6 years 5 months ago #12472

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1578
Hi, don't sync the miniSHARC plugin to the OpenDRC, it doesn't like that...! Use the OpenDRC plugin.

Firmware updates work on Windows only. It works fine from within a Windows VM, if you have one.

When you say "faint bleed on the outputs" you mean when the outputs are digitally muted? I'd guess there's some crosstalk then, but with 60 dB gain and it's still "faint" then I'd guess it's > 100dB down. You'd have to measure it properly to know. If the ULN-2 is generating the analog output it could be from there as well.
I am not miniDSP support.

"You must ask the right questions." - Dr. Alfred Lanning's hologram.
-> Have you read the User Manual??
-> Have you drawn and posted a diagram?
-> Have you posted a screenshot?
-> Have you posted your config file?

OpenDRC-AN tiny little sound 6 years 5 months ago #12477

• chmed
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the help
Ok 2 things.
On the Minidsp website, if I click down to the plug-ins section, there is a section for the OpenDRC platform. 2 plug-ins are available there: OpenDRC2x2 and miniSHARC 4x8. Are you telling me that the miniSHARC4x8 does not work with the OpenDRC board?

Secondly, the sound mutes completely if I mute the output on the outputs page. If it is unmuted then I can pick up a very faint signal. In other words, I can't get signal out of the box. My hunch... I'm curious if there are output mute transistors (to avoid turn on or off thump) that have failed and are pinching the signal down.

OpenDRC-AN tiny little sound 6 years 5 months ago #12479

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1578
chmed wrote:
Are you telling me that the miniSHARC4x8 does not work with the OpenDRC board?

Hi, I can't give you a definitive answer on that, all I know is I was able to get mine into an unusable state by doing that. However a. I had an early version of the hardware so maybe it doesn't count and b. fortunately miniDSP/devteam got me out of it. Even so, I'm inclined to think it's not such a good idea.
Secondly, the sound mutes completely if I mute the output on the outputs page. If it is unmuted then I can pick up a very faint signal. In other words, I can't get signal out of the box.

Sorry, I misunderstood. One possibility is that you simply don't have the routing matrix set up correctly. Posting the .xml file (renamed to .txt) may help. Another is perhaps the use of the miniSHARC 4x8 plugin. Barring advice to the contrary, I'd be inclined to try again with the OpenDRC plugin.
I am not miniDSP support.

"You must ask the right questions." - Dr. Alfred Lanning's hologram.
-> Have you read the User Manual??
-> Have you drawn and posted a diagram?
-> Have you posted a screenshot?
-> Have you posted your config file?
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by john.reekie. Reason: Speling

OpenDRC-AN tiny little sound 6 years 5 months ago #12480

• dreite
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 658
Since you have the OpenDRC-AN (a two-in, two-out unit) I'm not sure why you'd want to use a miniSHARC 4x8 plugin. You should use the OpenDRC 2x2 plugin only.
This plugin doesn't have a routing matrix, per se, so I don't think your issue would be there.

I would reconnect (USB) to your unit and configure for factory default. That should yield a unity-gain feed-through configuration. See if that works.

Dave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam

OpenDRC-AN tiny little sound 6 years 4 months ago #12562

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1123
@Chmed,

Some very good suggestions here from our long term community members!
Restore to default and if the issue persit emailing us the file that you're using would be the way to go. Most likely an issue of misconfiguration inside the unit,

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.
Moderators: devteam