Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: Question on gains and meters

Question on gains and meters 6 years 5 months ago #12351

• djarchow
  • Fresh Boarder
I have read many of the threads on setting gains and the input and output level meters. Most of them have talked about the other platforms not the open doc. Using the numeric level at the bottom of the input and output level meter how high can that read on peaks before clipping?

Thanks for any help.

Dennis
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Question on gains and meters 6 years 5 months ago #12354

• dreite
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 658
Dennis,

They're essentially peak reading meters.
If a maximum voltage sine signal is input the meters will read "0".
If music/noise or some other "random" signal is input the meters will indicate lower but you still may be at the clipping threshold with peaks. As an example, white noise recorded at 0dbFS will indicate "-6" on the indicator, but this signal is indeed at the clipping level.

Hope that makes sense.

Dave.

Question on gains and meters 6 years 5 months ago #12355

• djarchow
  • Fresh Boarder
Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. So I am still just a bit confused. Are you saying the input meter (both the colored bar and the number below the meter) are reading peak voltage or RMS. Also the level adjustment and the meters on the DRC both go to +12 which is different than screen shots of other plugins which stop at 0. So is the value you hit clipping on the DRC input and output meter (you suggested -6) different than on another plugin/MiniDSP model?

Thanks again!

Dennis

Question on gains and meters 6 years 5 months ago #12356

• dreite
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 658
Dennis,

The meter operation on these plugins can be a bit confusing. :)

They actually are RMS indicators, but I find it easier to think of their operation in "peak" terms since you can't correspond a particular indicated numerical value with the clipping threshold. (The graphic indicator is more reliable.)

Yes, the sliders allow for some adjustment range (and indication) above "0" but that doesn't increase the maximum full-scale voltage the unit can process. It just allows for some relative adjustment within the existing gain structure of the unit.

Hope that helps.

www.minidsp.com/images/documents/Product...%202x2%20plug-in.pdf

Dave.
Moderators: devteam