Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: Problems with the mini sharc

Problems with the mini sharc 6 years 5 months ago #12195

• kalexm
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi,

I am new to the forum. I received my MiniSharc DigiFP and VolumeControl two weeks ago. I didnt manage to fiddle with it until last weekend. I managed to wire and it put it in a case. When connecting it it is recognized by the PC. For some reason I found in downloads the plugin MiniDSP Mixer. I connected with it. Then I got the 4x8 Plugin. It recognizes the box. But it behaves strange. It always requires to reset the firmware to factory defaults. This especially when switching the config. Config 3 consistently fucks up. I guess sth. went wrong when connecting with the wrong miniDSP Mixer. Can I overwrite the whole memory with the correct firmware?

best,

Alex
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Problems with the mini sharc 6 years 5 months ago #12209

• dreite
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 658
The following user(s) said Thank You: kalexm

Problems with the mini sharc 6 years 5 months ago #12211

• kalexm
  • Fresh Boarder
Oh Yeah, I must have f**** it up. Now it behaves stable and deterministic! And it plays music!!

Great! Thank you Dave!

Problems with the mini sharc 6 years 5 months ago #12225

• kalexm
  • Fresh Boarder
Theres only one question left: The product datasheet announces SD-Card Support. The slot is physically available. But I did not find any information about how to format the card and how to format the DSP Data-Files correctly. Is it simply the xml file? Cant imagine as it would require a full blown xmlparser/interpreter. I'd expect a file that is more or less a memory dump? Additionally does someone reverse engineered the USB Protocol between device and plugin? Is there a protocol specification?

best,

Problems with the mini sharc 6 years 5 months ago #12237

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1123
@ Kalexm

- Makes sure that you indeed don't run mixer plug-in to flash the miniSHARC as you'll mess up the board. These are not compatible at all.
- The SD card isn't supported by the firmware at this point. We do plan to release some ability in the future.
- As for reverse engineering our work, you won't get any support from us since it's just outside our support structure. It's on your own (i.e. even more if you lock up the board and need further support from our engineers ;-). Using "reverse engineering" on a forum of the manufacturer, isn't exactly good form... but again, that's our views of what we consider "politically correct" or not.. :-)

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by devteam.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kalexm

Problems with the mini sharc 6 years 5 months ago #12240

• kalexm
  • Fresh Boarder
Dear devteam,

firstly i am a software engineer and always try to fully explore my gadgets. Its not for a commercial purpose so hopefully somewhat understandable. Maybe i got the diy spirit of the community wrong. I thought that members like curryman support to the manufacturer!?

Nevermind, i ll go with the excellent plugins and wont go for my own mobile app to support blind a b testing..

Best, alex

Problems with the mini sharc 6 years 5 months ago #12329

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1123
Alex,

Thanks for your understanding and sorry if we misunderstood you. You're entirely correct about the DIY spirit, we just wanted to highlight the word "reverse engineering" which I guess we consider different to DIY based on what it's typically used for (stealing IP).. :-)

Members like Curryman indeed very much support our community and we encourage everybody out there to do so. Note however that work with Curryman is very different since it's a "controlled" environment with Daniel as we know him for many years and know very well his abilities.. If you have a specific project and you need help, feel free to get in touch with us.

In answer to your request of releasing a complete API, allowing 3rd party dev like yourself to build some custom APP based on an API, it would be amazing! The real life scenario is that we have a whole team of software/firmware/hardware guys that talk to each other in the same office all the times about specificity of loading some filters/prototype functions etc on each specific board/DSP structure.... Trying to reproduce this across a whole community and making our company assign "Engineers" for every single request out there (no idea of their general knowledge of coding/standards) would just turn into a whole tech support issue where we'd certainly need to increase the cost of our products to even survive for more than 6month.. I can only think that very large companies (e.g. analog devices/TI) can afford to do it for that reason. Our 2cts... to be proven wrong maybe... :-)

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.
Moderators: devteam