Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: OpenDRC versus Dirac Live

OpenDRC versus Dirac Live 6 years 5 months ago #11992

• augerpro
  • Fresh Boarder
What is the difference between minidsp's OpenDRC implementation and Dirac Live?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

OpenDRC versus Dirac Live 6 years 5 months ago #11995

• hochopeper
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
hi augerpro,

main difference is that Dirac seems to only work with computer sources .... OpenDRC will work with existing hardware players.

The other significant difference Dirac provides a bunch of room measurement/analysis tools based on their proprietary techniques, OpenDRC gives you the options to explore and control the DSP how you like . Having looked at the output of the Dirac software in a discussion on another forum I was concerned that the smoothing and presentation of the 'corrected' filters wasn't described very clearly so I couldn't draw strong conclusions about what had been done in correcting some of the high-q speaker resonance etc.

Regards,
Chris

OpenDRC versus Dirac Live 6 years 5 months ago #11998

• augerpro
  • Fresh Boarder
So how do you pull measurements into OpenDRC? Are you able to easily design a system curve to fit the system to?

OpenDRC versus Dirac Live 6 years 5 months ago #12020

• augerpro
  • Fresh Boarder
It would be nice if you could at least trial the OpenDRC software to see what it does. In fact it should be free, since you have no use of it without buying the hardware anyway, but I digress...
I'm assuming a mic input via soundcard should be all I need to measure from within OpenDRC?

OpenDRC versus Dirac Live 6 years 5 months ago #12022

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1578
augerpro wrote:
I'm assuming a mic input via soundcard should be all I need to measure from within OpenDRC?

Hi, you don't measure from within OpenDRC. The OpenDRC plugin allows you to load the FIR coefficients obtained from some other program. Ways of obtaining these coefficients include AcourateDRC and rephase. I guess you could characterize these two programs as opposite ends of the spectrum, "fully automated" vs "manual control." rephase is free, AcourateDRC requires a license paid to be able to generate the coefficients.

OpenDRC also has parametric EQ and xover functionality built in.

I think a fair amount of the functionality is described in the User Manual. www.minidsp.com/support/downloads
I am not miniDSP support.

"You must ask the right questions." - Dr. Alfred Lanning's hologram.
-> Have you read the User Manual??
-> Have you drawn and posted a diagram?
-> Have you posted a screenshot?
-> Have you posted your config file?
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by john.reekie.

OpenDRC versus Dirac Live 6 years 5 months ago #12057

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1123
Two different beast as very well explained by John! But who knows, maybe one day combined into one product.. .;-)

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.
Moderators: devteam