Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: OpenDRC-AN Specifications & Testing

OpenDRC-AN Specifications & Testing 6 years 8 months ago #10939

• Megastat
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello and how is everyone? I have some basic questions regarding this model. Whilst the OpenDRC appears to be a value leader in each of its available formats, in the time that it has been in my possession I have not activated it to get a feel for its capabilities. I now plan to use this in conjunction with some electrostatic loudspeakers, and before I integrate it within my own system, I did have some questions directly regarding the OpenDRC-AN's performance & testing, respectively. These points may be largely inconsequential, but they could hold some value for varying applications, or general interest.

What is the input impedance, the input clipping threshold, the measured bandwidth, the maximum gain and output magnitude at a given distortion level, and what is the average measured output impedance? I would also like to ask if the gain and attenuation are strictly covered in the digital domain, or is this particular facet of operation is a multistage combination of both digital & analog domains? Lastly, I would like to ask if the input and outputs are capacitor coupled?

Thank you kindly for your time, your help, and for offering a very fascinating product.

Sincerely & Best Wishes,
Megastat
Last Edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Megastat.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

OpenDRC-AN Specifications & Testing 6 years 8 months ago #11084

• samoht
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Hi DevTeam,

I'm also interested in the subject Megastat is asking for.
I'm using OpenDRC with AccourateDRC and rephase with great success, but I like to optimize my gain structure, which is not possible without having at least the max. input/output levels.

Best regards

Thomas

OpenDRC-AN Specifications & Testing 6 years 8 months ago #11086

• curryman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 181
Did you take a look at the datasheet?
Input Impedance is 40kOhms, max. input level (clipping threshold) either 2Vrms or 8Vrms (jumper configurable). Max output level is 2Vrms and output impedance is specified as 560Ohms. The specified SNR is datasheet spec from used chipset (CS4272) so no info if this is reached from openDRC-AN.
The bandwith is most probably not limited by the analog circuits but by the plugin samplerate which is 48kHz, thus upper limit is 24kHz.
The attenuation is done in digital domain (in the DSP with 32bit floating point) and outputs are capacitor coupled AFAIK.

hoping this info helps.

regards, Daniel

OpenDRC-AN Specifications & Testing 6 years 8 months ago #11090

• samoht
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Daniel,

Thank's for your response and explanations.
I did not noticed that the datasheet has been updated, sorry.

Best regards

Thomas

OpenDRC-AN Specifications & Testing 6 years 8 months ago #11099

• samoht
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Daniel,

One question is left: Are the indicated signal levels valid with balanced or unbalanced signals.
If 2V is the output in balanced mode, than there is a mismatch resp. loss in gain structure when connecting to miniDSP 4x10.

Any idea?

Best regards

Thomas

OpenDRC-AN Specifications & Testing 6 years 7 months ago #11146

• samoht
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Devteam,

I had to re-arrange my PreAmp >OpenDRC-AN > miniDSP 4x10 > Amps chain, because there was noise to be heard. It turned out that OpenDRC was creating the noise. Sounds like "digital" rather than "analoge" noise.
By changing to balanced signal connection between OpenDRC and miniDSP the noise was gone. That's fine.
Unfortunatey i experience now a loss in signal level of about 12 dB. Let's say a test signal,which shows -3 dB on the output monitor of OpenDRC, shows -15 dB on the Input monitor of miniDSP. All other volume controls are at 0 dB.
If this is fact, than it's a really pity to loose 12 dB for nothing.

Please give me a feedback and hopefully a suggestion how to solve this subject.

Best regards

Thomas

OpenDRC-AN Specifications & Testing 6 years 7 months ago #11149

• curryman
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi Thomas,

output level of openDRC_AN is 2Vrms according to the datasheet while input sensitivity of balanced input of miniDSP 4x10 is 8Vrms. This is exactly the factor 4 or 12dB you are experiencing :dry: Don't see any simple way to change this :huh:

However I am wondering why are you using this setup with multiple AD/DA conversions (probably you just have those versions and don't want to invest again :blink: ). Maybe you can change the AN-FP of your openDRC-AN to an DIGI-FP (maybe DevTeam can provide a new backpanel for openDRC-DI ;) ) and then use digital connection between openDRC and miniDSP? If you need the analog input you can use the input of miniDSP, route the analog input directly to the digital output and connect this to the openDRC then back to miniDSP.

Best regards, Daniel

OpenDRC-AN Specifications & Testing 6 years 7 months ago #11150

• samoht
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your quick response. Your guess is right, it's just analoge because i have the equipment and like to use it independently.
I thought about the way you proposed and did some tests already. Analoge and digital inputs are working simultaneously together, so it should work.
I ordered my first miniDSP 2x 8 with the VOL-FP and the DIGI-FP and didn't use the DIGI-FP so far.Is this the same frontend like in the OpenDRC? That would be great. I will check immediately.

Best regards

Thomas

OpenDRC-AN Specifications & Testing 6 years 7 months ago #11151

• curryman
  • Platinum Boarder
AFAIK it's identical so it should work :)

cheers, Daniel

OpenDRC-AN Specifications & Testing 6 years 7 months ago #11159

• samoht
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Daniel,

Just to confirm that the modification from OpenDRC-AN to -DI was successful. I have to build a new back plate, but this is okay for having now both versions. The routing of the miniDSP works well, too. No dB is lost now on the whole chain.

Best regards

Thomas

OpenDRC-AN Specifications & Testingt 6 years 5 months ago #11994

• mikebond
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello! If I'm going to use crossover function, can I adjust the time delay ? I don't see it in the manual.

OpenDRC-AN Specifications & Testing 6 years 5 months ago #11996

• hochopeper
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Each output has adjustable time delay up to 3s in the miniSharc's 2x8 software.

The 2x2 OpenDRC plugin datasheet says that it has 1s delay control on each output www.minidsp.com/images/documents/Product...%202x2%20plug-in.pdf

Chris
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by hochopeper.

OpenDRC-AN Specifications & Testing 6 years 5 months ago #11997

• mikebond
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Chris!
Thank you very much!
Moderators: devteam