Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: Re: Convolution with higher level

Convolution with higher level 6 years 10 months ago #7240

• jlo
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi all,
(but especially devteam)

to be able to compare with/without FIR, the FIR bypass button is the best option. But it means that the convolution level should be matched to the bypass level. Recalculating the bin file to decrease level is no problem, but when you try to increase level, the OpenDRC software automatically limits b coefficient to a max value of 1. You can then go to manual mode and directly change ie b0 to 2 (equivalent to +6dB). Will this trick bring any problem ?
I know that this 6dB example is a bit exagerated but...

Last Edit: 6 years 10 months ago by jlo.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Convolution with higher level 6 years 10 months ago #7241

• curryman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 181
Increasing the level may cause overloads and thus is a bit "dangerous".

What about using a second flat filter with a similar average attenuation like the FIR and load it to another preset (Thats actually whats suggested in acourateDRC). With/without filter can then be compared by switching configs.

Re: Convolution with higher level 6 years 10 months ago #7254

• jlo
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Increasing the level may cause overloads and thus is a bit "dangerous".
OpenDRC works in floating mode, so decreasing gain at input should be enough to avoid overloads.
What about using a second flat filter with a similar average attenuation. With/without filter can then be compared by switching configs.
Switching time between configs is about 3 seconds, this is too high to allow valid comparisons.

Re: Convolution with higher level 6 years 10 months ago #7255

• curryman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 181
You're right! I just wanted to point out that it might lead to problems if you don't know what you are doing ;)
So if you attenuate at the input I don't see any problems with setting b0 to 2. Though it's not clear if there might be some problem with the implementation in the DSP but this can only be answered by DevTeam ;)

Re: Convolution with higher level 6 years 10 months ago #7292

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1050
@ Jlo,

It shouldn't be an issue. There is just one little bug (new revision fixing it) is that you need to input 2.000000. (i.e. as a decimal) and not (b0=2) else the input dialog box may not take it.

DevTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.
Moderators: devteam