Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: Re: First day with OpenDRC-AN not going well

First day with OpenDRC-AN not going well 7 years 3 months ago #6063

• kcadam81
  • Fresh Boarder
Today is the first day I'm really spending time with the OpenDRC which I'm using to tune up the speaker system in my office a bit. It hasn't gone well.

I had no issue with Config 1, creating my first pass of EQ, but when I switched to the blank config 2, the volume jumped and heavily distorted the output. I immediately shut off my speakers. In continued work with config two, the processor would randomly change and channel 2 would sound phasy and have a significant delay on it. Using the FIR bypass worked to correct this, but I don't understand why the FIR filtering would come into play when I've never loaded anything into it. I unloaded the FIR and tried again with the same result.

Second, I'm having issues with EQ bypass buttons not doing anything. The EQ remains applied in both states. Additionally, when I have bypassed bands (and confirmed that by hearing the EQ bypass and by watching the change in response in my measurement software) I am still hearing changes in audio as I sweep the frequency around - yes, even when the bypass is confirmed. (By the way, having a button that bypasses ALL EQ bands would be nice)

Third, when I link EQ for Ch 1 and Ch 2 and make changes, it only happens on Ch 1. If I do my EQing on Ch 1 and then link it to Ch 2, it works just fine and copies the parameters to Ch 2.

Fourth, I just went to change from Config 1 (my first EQ pass) to Config 2 (my second EQ pass) and again, blaring loud scratching, tearing noises. This time I thought I had probably blown something of mine up, too. I removed input from the box and went to the back of my right speaker to turn it's input all the way down as to not hurt it and the horrible noises were still being generated by the OpenDRC. Resetting power to the unit seemed to have fixed the problem, but I'm now very apprehensive using this unit. It has now demonstrated to me three times that it has the power to blow my system up with these erroneous sounds!

Any ideas?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: First day with OpenDRC-AN not going well 7 years 3 months ago #6064

• kcadam81
  • Fresh Boarder
an update:

this evening, after working with fellow board member "greenm01" to get his PORC FIR filtering going, I decided to give my OpenDRC another run through.

I set up 3 configs: 1) FIR filters loaded from PORC, 2) IIR filters I came up with, 3) no EQ

I had good luck switching back and forth between configs a couple times, then my original issue of that distorted tearing sound appeared. I planned for this and had not only the 10db pads engaged on my speakers, but had the variable attenuators set at -12db. When the noise appeared it was only on the left side. Looking at the output meter on Output 1, I saw a peak level of +40db! When switching back and forth between configs the same issue appeared on the same config each time it was loaded.

My original intent for replacing my previous EQ system was to be able to set up 4 different curves for the speakers in my office (studio monitors) and be able to switch between the different tonalities. I'm hoping that there's a fix for this issue I keep having. For now, it's back to my old EQ.

Re: First day with OpenDRC-AN not going well 7 years 3 months ago #6065

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1052
Hello,

It indeed sounds like you had few issues so let's try in order:

- Toggling configurations: In general, for the initial setup, we don't recommend going from one configuration (e.g. already pre-configured with some gain settings) to another unconfigured configuration. It's best that first configure the unit with one config, then you do the copy/save process offline. The chances that you'd have attenuated the system (even with your FIR filter/EQ) are pretty high. In other words, you'd just go from one config to another with the chances of running into the problem that we guessed may have just happened (gain settings not configured). We've just been running the OpenDRC and couldn't reproduce the symptoms, however these symptoms are sometimes tricky to reproduce so we'll keep trying. To help further, please post all your configuration files to us (as a zip). You can find the 4 config files under "\My Documents\MiniDSP\OpenDRC-2x2\setting". It will be really helpful for us to know what's going on here.

- EQ bypass not working. We've tried many times this one under many configurations and can't reproduce it.. Do you remember if you were online when you did so? A typical symptom would be that you'd be offline (i.e. no changes can be applied to the DSP). Please email us a video on how to reproduce the symptoms if you're able to.

- Link EQ: I think that you've unearthed a bug here.. We didn't see this before but there is a scenario where indeed the Link EQ would create some distortion. Our software team is already investigating what is the cause in the latest builds. We'll issue a new release shortly. For now on, please do not use the link EQ for the time being. Was configuration 2 (second post) using Link EQ feature? If it was, that might be the cause for the noise.

Hoping this info helps. We'll get back to you once we have a release. Please email your config files for the time being.

DevTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.

Re: First day with OpenDRC-AN not going well 7 years 3 months ago #6068

• kcadam81
  • Fresh Boarder
So are you basically saying that after I've set up my 3 configs, I can't ever switch between them? That doesn't make sense.

I have left all the gain settings at 0. I'm very perplexed as to why when switching configs we are talking about just one channel having a VERY large amount more gain. Again, my levels were decently low, peaking around -15 and after the issue with the levels remaining where they always have been, the left output was peaking at +40!

I'm pretty confident that when I had the EQ problem I was connected because I was able to slide the gain around and make audible changes

Config 2 does use the Link EQ feature

Additionally to the rest, after testing, it would seem that my unit exhibits a polarity reversal and that the Linkwitz-Riley crossover slopes do not behave traditionally. Both LR24 and LR48 appear to exhibit the same slope, but different frequency points. The LR24 is just under-damped. I think what you're calling LR48 may actually be just traditionally implemented LR24, however neither of them appears to have the slope they should. Not 24db/8ve, not 48db/8ve.
Attachments:

Re: First day with OpenDRC-AN not going well 7 years 3 months ago #6069

• devteam
  • Administrator
Hello,

Thanks for the setting.zip. We'll now use it to run it on our test platforms.

- Toggling configuration: Misunderstanding, no we didn't mean that you can't switch between configurations. We were just referring to toggling from one configured configuration (i.e. loaded FIR + gain setting) to another unconfigured configuration(i.e. blank/default) configuration. That's all we were talking about.. :-)

- The large gain was mostly related to the link EQ bug. As we've already said in the previous email we're looking into it. Please refrain from using the Link EQ for now until it's fixed.

- Setting.zip. We've been toggling more than 20 times between config 1/2/3/4 but can't reproduce the symptoms. Are you using the software, IR or front panel remote? I'm guessing that the symptoms you mentioned "Config 2 corrupted" was maybe triggered when you moved EQ on config 2 while link? (bug we're seeing).

DevTeam

Re: First day with OpenDRC-AN not going well 7 years 3 months ago #6070

• kcadam81
  • Fresh Boarder
So yes, #3 was completely unconfigured. I'd like one configuration to be a complete bypass of all EQ. The strange part was that I switched back and forth several times before the issue happened

Correct, #2 did have linked EQ when it happened. I will load the EQ into both Left and Right separately.

Off topic - what's the possibility of more IIR eq filters. I'm doing very shallow cuts but need a few more than 6 filters to achieve what I'm trying to do.

Re: First day with OpenDRC-AN not going well 7 years 3 months ago #6085

• kcadam81
  • Fresh Boarder
I tried my same scenario today with the EQs unlinked and everything was fine...

3 configurations set up:
1) EQ Try #1
2) EQ Try #2
3) No EQ

I bounced back and forth many times (with my intent on sitting on Config 2 because that's the EQ I like best right now) and had no issues with the system going crazy.

Re: First day with OpenDRC-AN not going well 7 years 3 months ago #6095

• devteam
  • Administrator
@ kcadam81,

Thanks again for the feedback and confirming what we had in mind (i.e. link EQ feature being the cause of noise). As you may already know from our separate email, our team worked hard for the past few days to fix the major bug you uncovered. An upgrade is now available online in the UserDownloads section.

This upgrade will solve:
- Link feature bug which relates EQ/Filters and eventually caused the filter order issue you noticed
- Compressor/Limiter algorithm improvement

Please see this announcement for more info and thanks again for your feedback!

DevTeam

Re: First day with OpenDRC-AN not going well 7 years 3 months ago #6096

• kcadam81
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for such a quick fix for this issue! Very impressive that you guys are so on top of things there!
Moderators: devteam