Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: Re: OpenDRC in My Audio Chain

OpenDRC in My Audio Chain 7 years 3 months ago #5952

• bcc1955
  • Fresh Boarder
I am intrigued by OpenDRC and the other MiniDSP products. I have existing products and I want to adapt DRC to them. My audio chain and where I conceive OpenDRC fitting is as follows.

1. Sonos Z90 player
2. OpenDRC
3. DAC
4. Active tubed 2-way crossover with 24db/octave filter at 600hz and separate volume controls for low-high speakers
5. Four mono-block tube amps driving mains and mid-high drivers
6. 2-way speakers with mains at 97db efficiency, and mid-high range speaker at 110db efficiency. This efficiency difference will be largely corrected for with the active crossover.

I want to use the OpenDRC to do digital room correction and to phase correct the crossover between the speakers if possible, since the Main Speaker and the High Speaker (a large TAD 4001 horn) are substantially separated in distance to the listening ear. Also, while I would like to have a "flat speaker response" as a reference point, I really want to have a target frequency response output that is tailored to my hearing response (at 57 years old my high frequency hearing is rolled off, so I need "compensation" by rolling those frequencies up to the same degree.

My question then is the OpenDRC the proper product for this application. Also, if I am correct, it does not run with the REW freeware but needs something like the Acourate. Is this true, and if so what are the pluses and minuses of these 2 software packages, other than cost?

Thanks for reading through at this!!
Last Edit: 7 years 3 months ago by bcc1955.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: OpenDRC in My Audio Chain 7 years 3 months ago #5978

• bcc1955
  • Fresh Boarder
Hmmm, I guess that asking a question that requires differentiating the virtues between 2 different minidsp partners is not too smart. I still think the OpenDRC looks good for my purposes and the Acourate software looks well worth the money. So unless I am missing something it should be a good solution. Any lurkers who know otherwise please chime in.

While this appears to be a killer product at this time, ultimately, IMO it will either change form or become a door stop. I see no reason why this concept ultimately cannot be incorporated into the player itself. I wish Sonos would be so adventurous to do so. I in fact see that Acourate already has a system for making and storing NAS music files that incorporate all the great equalization and phase modulation that their software can perform such that no dedicated hardware is required. But I think the price of entry and flexibility of OpenDRC at this point is very reasonable, since I can use it to play both my library and streamed music.

Re: OpenDRC in My Audio Chain 7 years 3 months ago #6000

• curryman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 181
I can only second what you already said in your two posts ;)

Your suggested setup will work well (at a very reasonable price!). In fact I am using a similar setup with respect to openDRC (miniDSP 2x8 as a crossover/EQ plus openDRC for linear phase room correction). Furthermore I can really recommend acourateDRC as a very easy to use and well working measurement and filter design tool.

That said, I would like to mention that this is not the only way to design filters. Have a look for DRC Free (open source project) as a very flexible toolbox for filter design, however needs some more practice.

You also mentioned acourateNAS that will also be a suitable solution for your setup, however you'll also need acourate for the filter generation (not included in acourateNAS) and thats another price tac compared to openDRC/acourateDRC. minus of offline filtering is, if you do a change (room / speaker placement etc.) youll have to recaclulate the complete library, which may take some time.

One thing you should think about in your setup is the gain structure. Have a look at DIYaudio where you can find a real good article about gain structure. Volume control in the sonos may be convenient but not the best with respect to a good S/N, especially with high efficiency speakers.
Moderators: devteam