Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: Re: OpenDRC and MiniDIGI+ MiniDSP

OpenDRC and MiniDIGI+ MiniDSP 7 years 5 months ago #5431

• jeroenkv
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello,
My speakers are currently filtered with MiniDSP. I have also 2 MiniDigi's ready for use, so I like to make the audio chain totally Digital.

Is the OpenDRC-DI a good option for this? Or can I better use a MediaPlayer direct to MiniDigi's via S/PDIF? (I'm worried about the quality of the digital volume control in Mediaplayers). What is your advise?

BR, Jeroen
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: OpenDRC and MiniDIGI+ MiniDSP 7 years 5 months ago #5443

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1052
Jeroen,

The OpenDRC-DI is quite different to some extends than the miniDSP kit. The FIR support and processing power of the OpenDRC is actually a LOT more than a simple miniDSP kit (though the price may not be that obvious). The advantage of Room correction (e.g. AcourateDRC) is not something that you'll ever be able to do on a standard miniDSP kit (not enough DSP power. The OpenDRC-DI is a stereo only configuration though.

Do you need filtering (i.e. LPF/HPF) along with Room correction? Then the OpenDRC would be the way to go (e.g. 2 x OpenDRC-DI, one for each speaker).
If you don't and only need a more DIY solution (e.g. miniDSP + miniDIGIx2), then your setup would work. Please see the Downloads section with regards to this configuration.

Hoping this info helps.

DevTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.

Re: OpenDRC and MiniDIGI+ MiniDSP 7 years 5 months ago #5445

• curryman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 181
One question that comes to mind when thinking of a 2-way stereo solution with openDRC-DI is how to connect the left and right openDRC to a stereo digital output? The digital outputs (AES, TOSLINK, SPDIF) are running parallel, right? So daisy chaining isn't possible (e.g. one output processed, another feed through).

Devteam: Do you have a suggestion? Anyone else?

Re: OpenDRC and MiniDIGI+ MiniDSP 7 years 5 months ago #5446

• jeroenkv
  • Fresh Boarder
I thinking I understand your explanation, but can't I use the OpenDRC-DI for room correction, digital source selection and digital volume control?

My idea is to connect a media centre to the digital in of OpenDRC-DI and the digital out to the MiniDigi's and MiniDSP's in my speakers (need 3-way filtering). In this way I can use it as a digital preamplifier with room correction. Correct?

Re: OpenDRC and MiniDIGI+ MiniDSP 7 years 5 months ago #5448

• curryman
  • Platinum Boarder
Yes this works! I am doing the same (openDRC + miniDIGI +miniDSP 2x8) ;) Volume control is done at the end of the chain in the 2x8 though :)

Re: OpenDRC and MiniDIGI+ MiniDSP 7 years 5 months ago #5450

• jeroenkv
  • Fresh Boarder
Excellent!

But why are you doing volume control in the 2 x 8 ? OpenDRC has volume control including remote control.

Re: OpenDRC and MiniDIGI+ MiniDSP 7 years 5 months ago #5452

• curryman
  • Platinum Boarder
miniDSP 2x8 also has IR receiver onboard for volume remote control ;)

Not sure if digital attenuation is done in the DSP or in the DAC. As far as I remember this depends on volume control via IR or via pot. Perhaps DevTeam can clarify?

Doing so, the (digital) attenuation is done after all the math in the DSPs and this results in less calculation errors, at least theoretically ;)

Re: OpenDRC and MiniDIGI+ MiniDSP 7 years 5 months ago #5466

• devteam
  • Administrator
@ Curryman:

- Daisy chaining for stereo wouldn't work since all outputs (SPDIF/Toslink/AES-EBU) from each OpenDRC is already processed. (i.e. LPF/HPF for say Left ch). The easiest would be to use a simple Toslink splitter (very low cost and effective) at the input side.

- You then configure OpenDRC unit# 1 as Mono L, Connect to the next one and configurat it as OpenDRC unit# 2.

Hoping this clarifies.

DevTeam
The following user(s) said Thank You: curryman

Re: OpenDRC and MiniDIGI+ MiniDSP 7 years 5 months ago #5467

• curryman
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks DevTeam,

it was clear for me that all digital outputs are parallel and processed. The configuration of the plugin is (as for all miniDSP products ;)) very easy and intuitive. Didn't know the TOSLINK splitter though ;) However I prefer SPDIF or AES/EBU so I'll do a search for similar products using those interfaces. Any tips would be very welcome!

best regards, Daniel

Re: OpenDRC and MiniDIGI+ MiniDSP 7 years 5 months ago #5472

• curryman
  • Platinum Boarder
Not sure if this will work but I thought the housing is very nice ;)

SPDIF Splitter

Re: OpenDRC and MiniDIGI+ MiniDSP 7 years 5 months ago #5478

• devteam
  • Administrator
heheh.. indeed.. a nice housing!

On the SPDIF side, we've even seen some splitter cable being as simple as 2 cables leaving from one connector. No idea of the effect on jitter and impedance loading on the transmitter though.. Seems a bit of a hack although the specs might allow for it.. Unknown.. Maybe you can test and let us know! :-)

DevTeam

Another Fold Back - OpenDRC & MiniDSP 2x8 6 years 7 months ago #8297

• thomasjefferson
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Would this work? Combine a 2x8 board and DIGI-FP (or, a 4x10 HD box) with OpenDRC-DI, by connecting a digital output (say AES-EBU) from mini 2x8 to an input (also AES-EBU) on the OpenDRC, and vice versa. The digital input to mini 2x8 will have been processed through OpenDRC. OpenDRC connects to VOL-FP, and does source switching and volume control.

But that's not all--in the Mixer tab on miniDSP 2x8, route the analog input to the digital output. Then when you choose "AES" digital source (via VOL-FP on the OpenDRC) you actually get the analog source (which goes through ADC in the mini 2x8 and on to the digital output). This way you get both analog and digital inputs to the same OpenDRC-DI.:woohoo: There would still be two digital inputs available (Toslink and SPDIF) on the OpenDRC.

And if you also check the boxes to direct the Digital input to the Digital output in the mini 2x8 Mixer, that would be a feedback loop? :unsure:

Re: Another Fold Back - OpenDRC & MiniDSP 2x8 6 years 7 months ago #8383

• devteam
  • Administrator
Sure, that would be fine. No reason why it wouldn't work. That's a smart idea! :-)

DevTeam

Re: OpenDRC and MiniDIGI+ MiniDSP 6 years 6 months ago #8662

• thomasjefferson
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
devteam wrote:
Daisy chaining for stereo wouldn't work since all outputs (SPDIF/Toslink/AES-EBU) from each OpenDRC is already processed.

Could there be an advantage to using miniDIGI rather than DIGI-FP? Specifically, could miniDIGI allow the daisy chain for stereo? Connect miniDIGI to SHARC #1, and output unfiltered SPDIF to SHARC #2. A Toslink splitter for left/right would not support multiple sources or non-Toslink sources.

Re: OpenDRC and MiniDIGI+ MiniDSP 6 years 6 months ago #8691

• devteam
  • Administrator
@ Thomas,

Are you just looking for a Toslink receiver? All miniSHARC have an SPDIF input, so you can indeed feed SPDIF signal to it (CMOS). Not sure what is the question now in this configuration so please try again to clarify if you don't mind.

DevTeam
Last Edit: 6 years 6 months ago by devteam.
Moderators: devteam