Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: Digi-FP and Slave Mode

Digi-FP and Slave Mode 2 months 1 week ago #47929

Hello,

is it possible to feed any digital signal (preferbly AES) via the Digi-FP and run the MiniSharc in slave mode and syncronize to the external clock?

Thank you,
Falk
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Digi-FP and Slave Mode 1 month 6 days ago #48935

• Richard
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 71
I was hoping MiniDSP might actually answer this question themselves, thus once again drawing attention to this shortcoming of the design and forcing them to acknowledge this fault which bugs so many people (myself included) for many years.
I might even hope that if enough other people on this forum are repeatedly asking about this ability to sync to an external reference, MiniDSP might one day launch an improved, re-designed version of the OpenDRC with a standard BNC wordclock input.
What I've seen over the years however, instead of augmenting the OpenDRC series, updating and launching new improved models, they have just sidelined it, and even discontinued many of the existing model variants that used to be on sale, so now we have just two. Which is a shame.

Since nobody else has answered, I can tell you... no, it isn't possible to slave the OpenDRC to an external digital source clock via AES/EBU or coaxial or optical.
All its digital inputs are automatically forced through an asynchronous sample rate converter and internally re-clocked to the native 48kHz internal sample rate, which is what you will see at the digital output, regardless of your input sample rate.
Although on paper it will accept 96kHz, even 192kHz digital input, everything gets converted to 48kHz, and all convolution is performed at 48kHz only, and all output is at 48kHz rate only.

This SRC has almost negligible effect on sound quality though, and always works in absolute real time anyway, so even if multiple separate OpenDRC boxes are used together side-by-side (eg. 3 boxes for a 3 way stereo crossover) although their internal clocks might not be in sync with each other, they will all stay in perfect absolute realtime sync with each other anyway, because they are all running live in real time from the same input (obviously split feeding each box an identical digital input.)

If you're trying to process a digital only playback / record loop through the OpenDRC you have to make its digital output the master clock and slave the player / recorder to that.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FalkAndreas
Moderators: devteam