Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: OpenDRC-DI vs SHD Studio

OpenDRC-DI vs SHD Studio 1 week 6 days ago #47260

• rieger
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm considering OpenDRC-DI or SHD Studio in my music setup but don't appreciate the differences between the two DSPs. Please advise. Also, I specifically see OpenDRC-DI does not have "bass management" but don't know what this stated limition implies.

Here is my target hardware and audio data flow.
digital source --> DSP --> (Integrated DAC + amp) --> (2 full-range speakers + 1 sub)

Objective:
- Add digital room correction (lower frequencies)
- Add digital cross over correction (mid frequency)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

OpenDRC-DI vs SHD Studio 1 week 5 days ago #47270

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1558
Hi, they're quite different as SHD-Studio has Dirac Live but OpenDRC does not. However for your configuration I think you will need the additional channels the SHD Studio has, plus another DAC. [Edit: unless your dac/amp has subwoofer outputs...? what model is it?]

(I'm not sure what you mean by "digital cross over correction "?)
I am not miniDSP support.

"You must ask the right questions." - Dr. Alfred Lanning's hologram.
-> Have you read the User Manual??
-> Have you drawn and posted a diagram?
-> Have you posted a screenshot?
-> Have you posted your config file?
Last Edit: 1 week 5 days ago by john.reekie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam, rieger

OpenDRC-DI vs SHD Studio 1 week 5 days ago #47278

• rieger
  • Fresh Boarder
@john.reekie, thanks for the reply. Perhaps my selection should be between DDRC-22D and OpenDRC. Both are fully digital and have the same DSP (ADSP-21369). From their respective product pages, it appears to me Dirac Live is the differentiator between these two products.

I'm using an older integrated amp from Denon (AVR-2803), so it does have a sub line out. I'll look into solutions if I seperate the DAC and amp. Thanks for the heads up.

By "digital cross over correction," I meant using the DSP to correct for frequency response error (such as a notch) and phase errors at the speaker's crossover frequency.

OpenDRC-DI vs SHD Studio 1 week 3 days ago #47310

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1558
Yes, so with the OpenDRC-DI you need to do your own measurements and and generate FIR filters yourself, whereas DDRC has that builtin with DL.

I guess I'm still confused by the mention of mid-frequency and subs all at once, but FWIW I'm not sure that DL will correct phase at sub frequencies, the FIR filters are only so long. The advantage of the units with four output channels is you can do the sub crossover in the DSP with full control. I guess I'd be inclined to do some measurements through the AVR and just see how far its internal controls get you.
I am not miniDSP support.

"You must ask the right questions." - Dr. Alfred Lanning's hologram.
-> Have you read the User Manual??
-> Have you drawn and posted a diagram?
-> Have you posted a screenshot?
-> Have you posted your config file?
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam
Moderators: devteam