Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: Feeding two NANODIGI with one OPEN DRC DI

Feeding two NANODIGI with one OPEN DRC DI 8 months 1 week ago #44847

• IAFRATE
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello,

I am a novice (A real "nut" in fact) in the digital world and I need advice.
I have a pair of speakers (four ways five loudspeakers each) separate by 7 meters.

I need to put the filtering process close to the speakers, and the main volume control and room treatment process ideally in the middle

My questions :
- Do you think i can use an OPENDRC DI feeding (with Toslink fiber) two NANODIGIs (One for Left speaker the other for right)

- I will enter 16 bits 44,1 Khz SPDIF in the OPEN DRC and I hope AES/EBU output format will be 24 bits 96 khz. Is it possible ?

- If yes, what will be the maximum possible attenuation of the main volume before numeric destruction? 24-16=8 bits => 48dB, am I right ?
Do you think it's enough ?

BR
René
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Feeding two NANODIGI with one OPEN DRC DI 7 months 3 weeks ago #45118

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1123
@René

Not a problem for your setup indeed. You can do that configuration to use the SPDIF out from the OpenDRC to both nanoDIGI (Splitter)
Output is indeed 24/96kHz and volume control is done on a 32bit variable inside the DSP.

Devteam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

Feeding two NANODIGI with one OPEN DRC DI 5 months 3 weeks ago #46039

• Richard
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 71
IAFRATE wrote:
I will enter 16 bits 44,1 Khz SPDIF in the OPEN DRC and I hope AES/EBU output format will be 24 bits 96 khz. Is it possible ?

No, the digital output will not be 96kHz. The OpenDRC-DI is not capable of producing 96kHz digital output.
Its three simultaneous digital outputs (AES/EBU and S/PDIF optical and S/PDIF coaxial) will always be 48kHz - whatever source sample rate you feed in always gets sent through an asynchronous SRC and is forced to 48kHz internal clock rate.

So if you enter16 bit 44.1kHz digital input S/PDIF optical into the OpenDRC-DI then your digital output on AES/EBU will be 24 bit 48kHz.
However it does happily accept input source rates of 96kHz rates or even 192kHz okay, but they just get converted to 48kHz thereafter.
(Internal DSP resolution is 32 bit. Digital output is always 24 bit.)
IAFRATE wrote:
If yes, what will be the maximum possible attenuation of the main volume before numeric destruction? 24-16=8 bits => 48dB, am I right ?

Correct, in theory you could play at -48dB volume and still maintain 16 bits worth of audio resolution from a 24 bit signal.
Last Edit: 5 months 3 weeks ago by Richard.
Moderators: devteam