Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This forum is community powered. Please be mindful that long time community members are here to help as part of a community effort. If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure), please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us). Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community. :-)

TOPIC: Help with minimum phase low latency filter set.

Help with minimum phase low latency filter set. 9 months 2 weeks ago #39560

• RyanC
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello-

I'm using the OpenDRC-DA8 for recording studio monitors (subs+TD15M naked + SEOS24 with Radian 951 beryllium). So far I've had no problems getting it setup with IIR filters, and have dived in and made my first FIR filter set. The FIR one sounds pretty good, but I probably overdid some corrections....still learning there. My crossover points are 85hz and 650hz or so.

Anyway I have a couple questions that I'm hoping you all might be able to answer. One, in rephase I see there are min phase filters and I'm curious if I can use those to my advantage to create a filter set that is less than ~3ms? In a studio you can't align the speakers with someone playing live (without time travel of course!) so one preset on the minidsp needs to be low, and latency is cumulative so I need relatively low for the crossover as there is already 8ms from the distance to speakers, 3-4ms from the computer and 3ms from the DA8 dacs and overall IO (according to minidsp). Maybe it's best to just stay IIR for that, but any tips would be appreciated. IIR sounds great on this system btw.

Another question I have is how do I change it to 96k? I don't see an option in minisharc 4x8...do I need to load a 96k firmware? Also the plugin seems a little buggy on mac, it always shows 1024 taps available per ch no matter what I do (even when loading FIR sets).

When doing FIR alignments, are most of you doing a free field or really nearfield measurement? My final room should (hopefully) have enough treatment to realize minimum phase at the listening position. In that case would it make sense to do phase corrections at the LP?

Thanks in advance!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: devteam