Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: Open DRC Analog in Digital out

Open DRC Analog in Digital out 1 year 9 months ago #34976

Hello,

I have an Open DRC-AN would it be possible to modify this to have analog inputs and digital outputs?

Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Open DRC Analog in Digital out 1 year 9 months ago #34995

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1052
@ babyblaster

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that it won't be possible... :-( You can't have more than one IO card..
Unless I guess if you were to build build your own I.O card.. a bit more than DIY though.. :-(

DevTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.

Open DRC Analog in Digital out 1 year 9 months ago #35008

• Richard
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 68
babyblaster wrote:
I have an Open DRC-AN would it be possible to modify this to have analog inputs and digital outputs?

Perhaps you could purchase the DIGI-FP digital I/O board, for $45, to swap over from your existing analog AN-FP board, thus giving you the new digital outputs you want, plus the extra option to use direct pure digital inputs too occasionally, and then just get any external A/D converter to give you back the analogue inputs you want, by feeding the A/D's digital output into the DIGI-FP.

There's plenty of cheap A/D converters on the market, usually with consumer hi-f type unbalanced RCA phono plugs.

Although if you desperately need XLR inputs, you might need to either pay a bit more for an A/D with XLR inputs, or you could simply wire your XLR "hot"and "ground" into the RCA, with a plug adapter - unless your XLR source's level is far too high and distorts the A/D - in which case maybe use a passive transformer balanced / unbalanced interface box or something.
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Richard.

Open DRC Analog in Digital out 1 year 9 months ago #35017

@devteam

I'm not afraid of doing a little surgery. would it be possible to separate the input and output buses on the ribbon cable going to the main board, and then use half of one IO card for input and half of the other IO card for output?

Open DRC Analog in Digital out 1 year 9 months ago #35025

It may be helpful if I share my intended use case in case someone has a better solution. I was considering purchasing the openDRC-DA8 for a 3 way stereo crossover. I was planning on using my existing DRC upstream of the DA8 for FIR processing and it seemed most logical to connect the two digitally to avoid an additional A/D conversion. However, I still need analog input at the beginning and analog output at the final output.

Thanks

Open DRC Analog in Digital out 1 year 7 months ago #35865

• Fenalaar
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
The DA8 have one SPDIF input, and can be modified with an AN-FP, to get an analog input as well.

The DA8 is FIR capable already, but if you want to use the 2x2 plugin on an extra minisharc to get more taps than the 2048 per channel the DA8 offers, you’ll have to use an AN-FP for input, together with the onboard SPDIF on the first minisharc. Then you need to connect the I2S out on one minisharc to the I2S input of next one. I haven’t studied this closely, but one of the minisharcs needs to be set in slave mode, I think.

Johan-Kr
Moderators: devteam