Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

MiniSHARC inputs 5 years 2 months ago #26418

• P3tras
  • P3tras's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello everyone,

New member here. I am planning to integrated DSP into my android based head-unit (in a car) using miniSHARC + miniDAC8 + VOL-FP. Right now I will not get into details not to waste your time, but I have one question. Is it possible to use both SPDIF and I2S inputs on miniSHARC and switch between them via VOL-FP? I see it has input source selection, but I am not sure if it works for internal inputs.

My idea is to hook I2S to Android circuitry for maximum possible quality. But such way I will lose radio, AUX and bluetooth audio. Thus I am planning to convert head-unit's analog out to SPDIF and supply it to miniSHARC as second input (when I need full functionality, but not highest quality).

Thanks for responses!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by P3tras.

MiniSHARC inputs 5 years 2 months ago #26421

• sly
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 122
You might want to look at the OpenDRC-DA8. www.minidsp.com/images/documents/Product...rief-OpenDRC-DA8.pdf
It includes everything you are looking for and it comes in an enclosure. You can purchase these parts separately for installation in your head unit, but functionally it will work the same.

You'll want to use the miniSHARC plugin: www.minidsp.com/products/plugins/minisharc-4x8-plug-in-detail
The datasheet for the plugin is here: www.minidsp.com/images/documents/Product...%204x8%20plug-in.pdf

Look down the page where it lists the system diagram. Here it shows that you have stereo i2s inputs and stereo SPDIF inputs. You can use either one or both. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, it shows how to use the matrix mixer. You can mute, unmute or redirect signals from both sets of inputs. You could have one input route to one set of channels and another input can go to another set of channels. You can even have both inputs feeding the same channels simultaneously. You can leave the channels unmuted and feed them from your i2s and SPDIF sources or you can switch between them with the VOL-FP by pressing the button and turning the dial.

One thing I want to add is that the miniDAC-8 requires a 5V DC power supply. Either you are going to have to feed it 5 volt power from your head unit or you are going to have to get a 12V to 5V power converter so that you can feed it 12 volt power from your car.

Oh, and by the way. Welcome to the boards. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam, P3tras

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by sly.
  • Page:
Moderators: devteam