Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

MiniSHARC volume stuck at -127.5 5 years 5 months ago #24893

• zning4
  • zning4's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi everyone,

Last week as I was playing around with my MiniSHARC, after loading in a new set of FIR coefficients into it, the master volume went to -127.5. I have no volume-fp so I have no idea of how to raise the master volume back to 0. Tried restoring factory defaults, upgrading firmware, upgrade DSP software but all did not work. I sent miniDSP an email about it but it has been a week since I met this problem and have not heard anything from them.

Was wondering if have you all faced such a problem before? I find it strange why sending in FIR coefficients would cause the master volume to change and get stuck at -127.5. Would really appreciate any help!

Thank you (:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

MiniSHARC volume stuck at -127.5 5 years 5 months ago #24927

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1290
@ zning4

Somehow we've never heard of this (and we were not able to reproduce it here in same conditions), but then again I think that is because none of our customers are using the miniSHARC without a VOL-FP... We're not sure how this happened as i"m guessing you had zero problem before.. correct?

We did get your email last week and an engineer looked into it but it's not a 5min task. Somehow we need to provide some custom tools so you can modify the miniSHARC memory. (still having no idea how you got in that state.. :-) He'll get back to you shortly.
Thanks again for your patience.

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

MiniSHARC volume stuck at -127.5 5 years 5 months ago #24940

• zning4
Hi devteam!

Thanks so much for the reply! I tried the method that your tech support team suggested and now my MiniSharc is back at 0 master volume again (: Would like to appologise for not waiting out a tiny bit more for your reply from the tech support team as I was starting to miss listening to good music through your DSP :/

On a side note, I do still have a problem that I would hope to be able to iron out.

I have been trying to connect the raspberry pi B+, running Volumio, I2S output to the minisharc. I followed all the steps required to set the MiniSharc into input slave configuration, downloaded the latest plug-ins for it and did all the settings required on the volumio side to set its output to be through I2S. Unfortunately, no matter how hard I try and debug it, I always only hear something that resembles white noise. I use a MiniDAC8 for the output and for that I also upgraded the DSP software for it to be compatible as instructed on your website. I tried looking at the I2S signals with a scope and I do see them but one interesting thing that I noted is that the I2S signals becomes distorted when I upgrade the DSP software. I did try running it without upgrading the DSP software but the end result was still some white noise coming out from the output.

Any help is appreciated! But I can also understand if you guys are unable to help (:

Once again thank you for reviving my MiniSharc!

-ZN

MiniSHARC volume stuck at -127.5 5 years 4 months ago #25030

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
@ zning4

Glad to hear that you got your unit up and running again. :-)

For the Rasp pie, your issue is most likely down to the I2S configuration from the pie. We're doing an app note as we speak on this config.
e.g. on volumio you need select an ADC custom I2S configuration to make it work. Not 100% sure which one it is. There is a thread on this forum about it.

Devteam

MiniSHARC volume stuck at -127.5 5 years 4 months ago #25043

• zning4
@devteam

I tried following this guide: and also searched this forum for help but could not find a solution to it.
Followed the settings to choose and also used a scope to check the I2S signals and they seem to be there, not too sure what am I still missing. The output from the minisharc when I play something on the rasppi is white noise and it stops when I stop playing. This leads me to think that the I2S source is actually going into the minisharc but there is something wrong with the clock sync.

In any case, I shall wait for the application note (: Thank you!

MiniSHARC volume stuck at -127.5 5 years 4 months ago #25061

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
@ zning4

Can you please clarify you setup? miniSHARC and what board? Once we understand more we can help.
Since you have a scope, it should be very easy to disconnect the miniSHARC and just look at the I2S lines (sclk/data/lrclk) to double confirm the correct ratio as per miniSHARC user manual. All good?

MiniSHARC volume stuck at -127.5 5 years 4 months ago #25132

• zning4
@devteam

I am using minisharc with minidac8. The I2S signal is fed by raspberry pi B+, running volumio.

Within volumio, I selected "hifiberry" for the I2S DAC setting and selected "sndrpihifiberry" as the audio output. Using a scope, I could see the signals coming out from the raspberry pi B+. On the minisharc end, I made a connection to make it operate as an input slave.

With this configuration, I got white noise on the output of the minidac8 whenever I played something from volumio. Looking at the I2S input sound level meter within the minisharc software would show that there is signal coming in when I play something on volumio but when I stop playing, the signal level indicator would just stop at wherever it was and maintain there until I start playing again.

Hopefully this is clearer. Thanks for your help!

Last edit: by zning4.

MiniSHARC volume stuck at -127.5 5 years 4 months ago #25149

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
@ zning4

OK, information is indeed key here.. :-)
The bit that is important is the miniSHARC + miniDAC8 + I2S in slave. That's a configuration that we know for a fact requires a custom firmware. Please check your user downloads section under miniSHARC and look for "MiniSHARC 4x8 DSPFW I2S CLK"
That configuration is what you need here. please read the "READ ME" carefully.

keep us updated.

DevTeam

MiniSHARC volume stuck at -127.5 5 years 4 months ago #25214

• zning4
@devteam

Thanks for the help so far. I gave the "MiniSHARC 4x8 DSPFW I2S CLK" a try but it is still to no avail. What I observed after upgrading the dsp firmware to the custom firmware is that the input sound level meter in the software shows no input but there is white noise coming out of the physical outputs when I hit the play button in Volumio. When I hit the stop/pause button in Volumio, the white noise stops and the input volume meter also shows nothing. Really clueless as to what is happening here.

I have included some pictures and a video of what I observed. Apologies for the lack of sound in the video, I tried to annotate the video to explain what I am observing.

Thanks for the help devteam!
Attachments:

Last edit: by zning4.

MiniSHARC volume stuck at -127.5 5 years 2 months ago #26277

• wada_ketky
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi devteam,
I am facing the similar problem.

A few days ago, I put DC8V to my Raspberry Pi2 by mistake and may have broke it. After that, I replaced it by Voyage MPD and Combo 384, and worked well.
On the next day, I changed the power supply and found no sound output . I could fix it by just connecting my PC and switching the AUDIO ON button.
On the next day, I switched on and I found the Master Volume -127.5. Unfortunately I don't have Vol FP either.
MCK BCK, and LRCK output are OK but SDATA is none by the oscilloscope.

Hopefully your tech team can help me by the same method. Could you please inform me how?

MiniSHARC volume stuck at -127.5 5 years 2 months ago #26332

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
@ wada_ketky

OK I see. Easiest would be to start by a tech support ticket with our team (support.minidsp.com). Once done, we can take it from there.
There is a way to solve if it's a firmware issue, but more worrysome is I wonder if you just didn't fry the input pins of the miniSHARC here. These are 3.3V compliant, not 8v rated. We'll have to see if that's the case or not once the unit is reset with a custom firmware by our team.

DevTeam

RE: MiniSHARC volume stuck at -127.5 4 years 11 months ago #28270

• urmet
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello!

I have also stuck volume at -127.5 problem

www.minidsp.com/forum/opendrc-series-sup...stuck-at-127-5#24893

Plugin Minisharc 4x8 ver v1.8
firmware v2.18

I2S slave input config

Input shows correct audio signal
Master volume at -127
outputs at -117
correct I2S observed at outputs -- LRCLK, BCLK, MRCLK --- data missing
Attachments:

RE: MiniSHARC volume stuck at -127.5 4 years 11 months ago #28287

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
@ urmet

Not sure of what's the issue here but easiest is just to start a tech support ticket with our team.

DevTeam

• Page:
Moderators: devteam