Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: "Loading configuration to the board." Hung....

"Loading configuration to the board." Hung.... 3 years 6 months ago #24492

• captgnarly
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
...........and since the next part of the message says 'please do not un-plug or close app', I'm asking for help before doing anything.....

Newbie, but successfully used rephase to load output channel 2 with FIR filter. Made several tuning iterations loading adjustments after measuring response, with no problems, and have achieved nice measured response for both magnitude and phase for HF driver.
Really cool, can't wait to hear how it all pans out on 4 way system!!!

Was in the process of doing the same for VHF driver. Browsed and loaded rephase into channel 3. Hung for 20 min "Loading FIR coefficients."
Closed the app.

Unplugged the box,. Plugged back in, opened the app, and synchronized. Now it's hung per subject line.

Thx for help. Mark
The administrator has disabled public write access.

"Loading configuration to the board." Hung.... 3 years 6 months ago #24495

• captgnarly
  • Senior Boarder
Ok, more info on problem....
..I probably should have said its a DA8...

I'm getting what seems to be several different errors ...

Sometimes, right at the outset of trying to connect with either the 48K or 96k plugin, I get device can't be found...
Sometimes, I get device found, and then try to sync, and then get USB timeout..check connection.

Sometimes, when I change from whichever plugin I had been trying to sync, 48K or 96K, I get writing sth to dsp like all is well...
but then it hangs...usually at 2527 on the 96K plugin, and 2518 on the 48K.

Thanks for your help, it was auspicous to see such a flat phase on my HF driver when things were going well...
....ready to get this rascal working :cheer:

"Loading configuration to the board." Hung.... 3 years 6 months ago #24577

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1052
@ captgnarly

Did you get this figured out already? If not contacting our tech support team would be the way to go (Support - > Contact US)
They will help suggest some ideas looking at the XML configuration you have. When you switch one plugin to the other, always remember to RESTORE to default all.

DevTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.

"Loading configuration to the board." Hung.... 3 years 6 months ago #24585

• captgnarly
  • Senior Boarder
Thank you!

Yes, the board is working.
Letting it sit for a few hours seemed to provide some sort of unknown reset.
I had it happen a second time, let it sit again, ......and then all good.

I can't really say I figured it out, other than both times it happened after Unloading FIR, and then trying to close the plugin without first Sending the "Default Taps used" to DSP. This was while synced with the board.

Anyway, I'm being very careful with this sequence, and have successfully unloaded/loaded maybe 20 rephase tries into 3 of the outputs.

"Loading configuration to the board." Hung.... 3 years 5 months ago #25269

• captgnarly
  • Senior Boarder
OK, I keep having trouble connecting to the DA-8.

I take my Win10 laptop over to the DA-8 in my equip rack, and connect to a USB 2.0 port.
I don't hear Win10 ding that a device has connected, but I launch the plugin anyway and try to connect.
I get message 'Can not connect to board'. .

So I pull the DA-8 out of the equip rack and take it to my desktop.
No Win10 ding. Launch plugin anyway.
But do get 'Device found'.
Click Synchronize. And then get hung "Loading configuration. Pls do not unplug, etc'

Wait a half hour, still hung.
Unplug USB, unplug power from DA-8, and close plugin.
Power up, connect USB, open plugin....get "Cannot connect to system. 1st time retry try and so on till ' Cannot connect. Please plug in board."

If I let the unit sit unplugged for a few hours, everything seems to then work ok.
I mentioned Win10 ding, because both computers ding whenever USB connection is made or unplugged, when everything seems to work properly.

captgnarly wrote:
Thank you!

Yes, the board is working.
Letting it sit for a few hours seemed to provide some sort of unknown reset.
I had it happen a second time, let it sit again, ......and then all good.

I can't really say I figured it out, other than both times it happened after Unloading FIR, and then trying to close the plugin without first Sending the "Default Taps used" to DSP. This was while synced with the board.

Anyway, I'm being very careful with this sequence, and have successfully unloaded/loaded maybe 20 rephase tries into 3 of the outputs.

"Loading configuration to the board." Hung.... 3 years 5 months ago #25282

• Richard
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 68
Hi Captgnarly,

I don't know if you're still having this issue.

You say it sometimes works if you let device sit still for a while without touching it, then you get reliable connection that keeps working.

I'd suggest it's possibly the USB cable isn't making a good electrical connection to the contacts. If you nudge it, or slightly wiggle it, then it can suddenly drop the connection which was working two seconds ago. Then the thing will just freeze up and be hung connection. You already know your DA8 hardware, software and laptop has worked already so it's installed correctly.

Are you using the original black USB cable that MiniDSP supplied with the OpenDRC-DRC machine? Try that one first.
If you're using another USB cable you had laying around, beware it may not be EXACTLY the same tight fit into the socket as the original one that came from Hong Kong. Manufacturing tolerances may be different, etc. It's not a broken or dodgy lead, just a bad fit.
I found the same weird thing happen with my USBstreamer from MiniDSP, which I first hooked up with another USB cable, the power light wouldn't even turn on! I thought it was a Windows install problem, at first, but eventually tried swapping my USB cable for their original USB cable and it started working.

PS. When you have a good USB cable and everything's working, the system response / confirmation should be almost immediate, very little delay or loading time. If it ever hangs for longer than 20 seconds, then something's gone wrong, so just abort and restart. There's no point waiting ten minutes for it to recover...
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Richard.

"Loading configuration to the board." Hung.... 3 years 5 months ago #25283

• captgnarly
  • Senior Boarder
Thank you Richard,
I did see your earlier posts , regarding the USB cable and connection, and that was my first attempt at fixing. Alas, doesn't appear to be that..

And yes, still having the issue although i 'may' have found it.....

I sent an email to miniDSP yesterday saying sometimes i can't connect even when cold, but if I give the unit a slight whack connection would make.

Well, this morning, not even cold and whack worked.
So i took the lid off and started jiggling connections...bingo.
Seems the USB connection on the board is the culprit...fingers crossed that all is good now.

Oh, I couldn't get master volume to work though...gotta check that now.
(I also have a DRC-DA that has worked fine all along, so I don't think it's operator error...which is often the case with me :)

"Loading configuration to the board." Hung.... 3 years 5 months ago #25290

• captgnarly
  • Senior Boarder
Spoke too soon...something is plain not working on my DA-8...won't connect period.

"Loading configuration to the board." Hung.... 3 years 5 months ago #25291

• Richard
  • Expert Boarder
How hard did you whack it...?!!!

"Loading configuration to the board." Hung.... 3 years 5 months ago #25293

• captgnarly
  • Senior Boarder
Richard wrote:
How hard did you whack it...?!!!

So far, just like a finger on the the back of the wrist.......but almost getting tempted to reach for sledgehammer hahaha

Processing works fine....set for 4-way FIR outputs, and 1 completely unprocessed output for reference feed to Smaart.

BTW, I completely agree with you about the market for a pro-grade crossover. Like you, I think the alternatives are very expensive for the (lack of) processing provided.
I really do wish the 2048 tap limitation per channel didn't exist in the DA-8.....I second the call for more freedom in assigning taps!
And of course balanced outs !

Anyway, I'm using a DRC 2x2 for sub and MF duty, and the DA-8 for HF and VHF, on a live sound setup. Simple 4-way mono for now.
The DA-8 is also set up to handle sub and MF, but measurements proved 2048 taps weren't cutting it for either of those two bands.
(Sub to MID x-over is at 100hz.....)

Here's a measurement indoors I think looks way better than anything I could achieve before FIR/miniDSP. Special thanks to POS and rePhase...

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

"Loading configuration to the board." Hung.... 3 years 5 months ago #25314

• Richard
  • Expert Boarder
Wow, your Smaart phase graph looks pretty well controlled! From that particular sweet spot mic position at least...

Yeah, I do agree a pro version of the OpenDRC would be something I'd certainly love to see. Or even a way of linking three or four 2x2 machines together easily so they can share master volume control settings and one common master input and digital clock.
Although the OpenDRC was designed as a stereo Digital Room Correction device, it's sheer brilliance at running big FIR filters from rePhase, and being an open ended flexible platform, unmatched by anything else out there, as far as practical hardware, makes it the ideal engine for FIR driver correction and crossover duty. You'd hope that MiniDSP would see that gap in the market and realise a bigger multichannel box that can do basic stereo 3-way woofer / mid / tweeter at least with decent XLR connections and common digital input would be a big seller. Because FIR corrected multichannel crossover is the dream box for everybody out there.

Everybody out there, whether professional sound engineer, audiophile hifi buffs, speaker builders, musicians, recording studios or anybody that runs multiway loudspeakers and wants to get them sounding as near perfect as possible, is gonna HAVE TO go down the route of individual driver FIR correction. It's the only way to achieve it. Whether they know it or not, now, it's a matter of time, research and education for them. One day they'll all discover these facts too, and a Google search today will probably lead them to MiniDSP's doorstep, unless in the future somebody else has built a better box to run powerful FIR filters realtime in hardware, preferably multichannel, for an affordable price. Today, and for the last few years, MiniDSP OpenDRC is the cheapest route that works.

Like you say, the present day alternatives are very expensive.
DEQX is around £4K but limited to 2x3 way @ 4096 taps. So not enough for phase linear 20Hz bass if your speaker cab has vents.
Four Audio HD2 is similar money, £4K+ but nice pro spec 4x8 machine with level meters, but steep learning curve for its software, though it can run very long FIR filters thanks to downsampling method - which MiniDSP could also implement one day.
Cheaper option is Linea Research ASC48 which is about £1500ish and gives you 24dB linear phase crossovers, along with basic EQs, but cannot do individual driver FIR correction like the big boys.
Multichannel OpenDRC solution can offer more horsepower than DEQX or Four Audio, and the software interface is much quicker to deal with and it works with rePhase like a charm, but the hardware's semi-pro analogue output levels, no meters, no mute switch, no LCD display for volume status so you're working blind all the time, is what keeps it in the home DIY experiment camp, not the serious pro solution people need.
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Richard.

"Loading configuration to the board." Hung.... 3 years 5 months ago #25315

• captgnarly
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Richard,

Thanks ! Here's my first outdoor measurement with sub....took this morning.
Couldn't try to tune it any, cause I can't connect my dang DA-8 to me 'puter.. :(

And I could not agree more...particularly in regards to individual driver correction via FIR. All roads are leading there IMHO.
Whether it's the DIY hobbyist building his first two-way speaker or mega scale pro audio.....I mean take Martin's MLA FIR line array....144 separate channels of amplification, each FIR processed. Or EAW's Anya.....
Attachments:
Moderators: devteam