Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: miniSHARC/miniDAC8 stack questions

miniSHARC/miniDAC8 stack questions 3 years 7 months ago #23695

• Thunderstruck
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Question 1
Will a miniSHARC/miniDAC8 stack work with the miniSHARC set as I2S Input Slave & I2S Output Master?

Question 2
Will a miniSHARC/miniDAC8 stack run using the 2x2 48kHz Plug-In?

Don't assume I don't know what I'm doing. These questions are not novice questions. I'm cobbeling together a string of miniSHARCs in series and I would like to know the answer to these two specific questions before I buy a bunch of miniDAC8s and install all the PC board components to tie them together and mess up my 4 miniSHARCs I have now. I have three working in series using SPDIF and each with a different plug-in for various reasons. The 3 SHARCs are all I2S Input Master & I2S Output Master because I have 3 AN-FPs attached to each miniSHARC. All Front Panels are I2S Output Slaves & I2S Input Slaves by design so all my SHARCs must be Input & Output Masters. I am using the 1st AN-FP to input 2 channels of full-range analog to the 1st miniSHARC (running 4x8 96kHz plugin) and output 2 channels of high freq analog on the AN-FP. The 1st 96kHz SHARC copies the full-range signal to output 7&8 which is then copied to Pin 2 SPDIF TX to output a copy of the 96kHz full-range signal to the 2nd miniSHARC Pin 1 SPDIF RX. This 2nd miniSHARC runs on either 4x8 96kHz, 4x8 48kHz or 2x2 48kHz plug-in depending on what I want for whatever reason. A 2nd AN-FP is hooked to the 2nd miniSHARC to output mid range analog from channels 1&2. This 2nd SHARC passes the full-range signal to the 3rd miniSHARC in the same way as the 1st does to the 2nd. A 3rd AN-FP is hooked to the 3rd miniSHARC to output low freq analog using the 2x2 48kHz plug-in so that I have lots of taps to cross 20 to 64 Hz range with 64 to 200 Hz range with 8th order liner phase FIR XOs. By the way, this is a 6-way mono setup. Don't ask why. 20-64, 64-200, 200-640, 640-2000, 2000-6400 and 6400-20000. I want 96kHz processing for the highs and lots of taps for the lows. So I put the 96kHz 4x8 plug-in first and the 2x2 48kHz Plug-in last with 6144 taps to roll-off LR8 XOs at 64Hz. A high pass at 64 Hz is impossible without thousands of taps.

If the answers to my two question are "YES" and "YES" then ...
I'll use I2S signals instead of SPDIF, 3 miniSHARCs, 1 AN-FP and 2 miniDAC8s

Don't hijack this thread to ask me questions about my setup. I will gladly answer any questions in another thread. I'm trying to get a simple answer to two simple questions which is very difficult on this forum.

I know that I can do this with CurrymanDACs as I have had 3 of them hooked up before. They require +15/-15 VDC which is messy with all the +5VDC stuff already going on. The stacks look cool and I want to use them if possible.
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Thunderstruck.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

miniSHARC/miniDAC8 stack questions 3 years 7 months ago #23773

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1050
@ Thunderstruck,

As per your request, we will just answer with 2 simple answers and nothing else. :-)
1. Yes, it will work fine. Just contact us when you're doing the install as you do need a custom firmware for this application (limitation of miniDAC8 when stacked on top of a miniSHARC in slave mode)
2. No it will not work because the OpenDRC 2x2 plugin doesn't support I2S master/Slave. Only the miniSHARC 4x8 plugin has that support.

DevTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thunderstruck

miniSHARC/miniDAC8 stack questions 3 years 7 months ago #23793

• Thunderstruck
  • Senior Boarder
Question 1
Will a miniSHARC/miniDAC8 stack work with the miniSHARC set as I2S Input Slave & I2S Output Master?

Your answer ... Yes, it will work fine. Just contact us when you're doing the install as you do need a custom firmware for this application (limitation of miniDAC8 when stacked on top of a miniSHARC in slave mode)

I am doing the install now.
I am contacting you now.
What custom firmware do I need?
Is "custom firmware" the ribbon cable connectors, right angle USB, stand offs etc.?
What do you mean by "limitation of miniDAC8 when stacked on top of a miniSHARC in slave mode"?
Notice that I said "Input Slave and Output Master".

Question 2
Will a miniSHARC/miniDAC8 stack run using the 2x2 48kHz Plug-In?
You answered ... No it will not work because the OpenDRC 2x2 plugin doesn't support I2S master/Slave. Only the miniSHARC 4x8 plugin has that support.
I'm sorry. The 2nd question was not predicated on the first. Let me refrase my question.
Question 2a
Will a miniSHARC/miniDAC8 stack run using the 2x2 48kHz Plug-in with the miniSHARC set as I2S Input Master / I2S Output Master? (I thinking that only 2 of the 8 miniDAC8 outputs will have a signal but the stack will work)

miniSHARC/miniDAC8 stack questions 3 years 7 months ago #23834

• devteam
  • Administrator
@ Thunderstruck

Quoting you so we don't mix up..

I am doing the install now.
I am contacting you now.
What custom firmware do I need?
ANS: By contacting us, we implied starting a tech support ticket. minidsp.desk.com. It will be easier this way since that's the proper channels. You're now using a community forum, used here to help the whole community on general questions, we don't share firmware files here. Tech support ticket is the way for us to share files and share uncommon configurations.

Is "custom firmware" the ribbon cable connectors, right angle USB, stand offs etc.?
ANS: No. Firmware = embedded software = firmware that runs miniSHARC. Nothing to do at all with hardware, stacking, right angle..etc

What do you mean by "limitation of miniDAC8 when stacked on top of a miniSHARC in slave mode"?
ANS: It's a hardware limitation. We just need a custom firmware to run on the miniSHARC to support your specific configuration: miniSHARC as slave + miniDAC8 stacked.

- Will a miniSHARC/miniDAC8 stack run using the 2x2 48kHz Plug-in with the miniSHARC set as I2S Input Master / I2S Output Master? (I thinking that only 2 of the 8 miniDAC8 outputs will have a signal but the stack will work)
ANS: I think that it would but what would you feed to this board as input? The OpenDRC 2x2 dsp configuration only support I2S in/out as master. It does not support SPDIF rx/tx. It does "not" support I2S slave with ASRC (i.e. feeding from another board). Obviously, when you have such setting, you'd only have 2ch on that miniDAC8.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thunderstruck

miniSHARC/miniDAC8 stack questions 3 years 7 months ago #23877

• Thunderstruck
  • Senior Boarder
Dear Development Team,

Thank you so much for your answers. I have truly pondered them and taken them to heart.

I think I will put this thread "on hold" while I seek out a solution that does not need the "custom firmware" you so graciously offered. I am truly humbled by your generosity. However, I want to first pursue a solution using 3 standard miniSHARCs attached to 3 DA-FPs.

I think it is best to start a new thread named "3x DA-FPs & 3x miniSHARCs" to cover my proposed solution.

I will also start another thread named "3x AN-FPs & 3x miniSHARCs" to show the community my existing analog in / analog out 6-way Mono setup using 3 AN-FPs connected to 3 miniSHARCs in parallel.

My desire is to improve on my existing setup by inputting stereo SPDIF into my setup rather than analog stereo.

My existing analog in & out setup works wonderfully because I adjust the overall volume with my AVR and it switches audio & video between every AV input source imaginable. I set my AVR to downmix all sources to 2 channels (L & R) on the Front Left and Front Right preamp outputs of the AVR. That way I can get Dolby and DTS HD audio formats out of my AVR but only as an analog signal.

-IF-
I can figure out a way to get SPDIF out of some kind of switcher/stripper/de-embedder that will replace my AVR
-AND-
I figure out how to get SPDIF into 3 miniSHARCs to use 6148 FIR taps on my low freq and 96kHz sample rate on my high freq
-THEN-
I can use the Vol-FP to control the overall volume on the 1st miniSHARC which will also feed the 2nd and 3rd SHARCs.

So, let me pause the "miniSHARC/miniDAC8 stack questions" thread while I start threads showing my existing analog setup and another showing my proposed SPDIF input setup using 3 DA-FPs and 3 miniSHARCs.

Thank you so much for you support.
I worship the ground you walk on.
Nobody in the whole wide world has anything like what you offer.
Your products are wonderful, awesome, powerful and much more.

In search of audio perfection!
Thunderstruck in Marietta

miniSHARC/miniDAC8 stack questions 3 years 7 months ago #23914

• devteam
  • Administrator
@ Thunderstruck

Sounds good. We'll put this setup on pause to read more on your new setup. Sounds like quite some install you've got here. :-)
- HDMI to SPDIF (as multiple) is quite rare somehow.. not sure why.. :-(
- SPDIF into 3 x miniSHARC would be a modification of the OpenDRC. The DA-FP should do that for you I guess?
- VOL-FP to control all 3 boards. That's more tricky I think.. You'd need a custom little board with a bit of code to control it. CHeck out this commuity project on LCD on an openDRC. minidsp.com/forum/opendrc-series-support...ut-of-volume?start=6

DevTeam
Moderators: devteam