Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: OpenDRC-AN input & output level questions

OpenDRC-AN input & output level questions 3 years 9 months ago #22871

• dprice
  • Fresh Boarder
**** Moderator - should have been under OpenDRC support - please move *****

I'm using a pair of OpenDRC-AN for 2-way speaker crossovers. I seem to be having an issue with low input and output levels and wanted to know if I am missing something. The signal chain is - Yamaha AVR (RX-A2010) pre-amp out to OpenDRC-AN to Yamaha P2500S & P5000S amps.

In the Open DRC 2x2 plug-in, I have the input slider at +12 and see input levels peaking at -35 and the output sliders are at +12 and the output peaks at about -35. I assume this means I've maxed out the gain of the OpenDRC-AN without resorting to trying to add gain via filers or PEQ. Is this correct?

The AVR volume setting is at -30 dB which is usually enough for loud music (between -20 and -10 is stupid loud) so I know I can get a higher input/output level by cranking the volume knob. The amp gain is maxed out.

I picked up an ART Cleanbox Pro yesterday so I'll see if placing it in between the AVR and the AN for the unbalanced to balanced conversion helps with the gain structure.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by dprice. Reason: wrong forum
The administrator has disabled public write access.

OpenDRC-AN input & output level questions 3 years 9 months ago #22873

• dreite
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 630
It's not clear what your objective is here.
The OpenDRC is essentially a unity-gain device and should be used that way, nominally. But you're using it simply as a line amplifier?
This doesn't make much sense to me.

Maybe your premise is that your losing 6db because of a balanced to unbalanced conversion the OpenDRC is performing simply because of the interface and you want to correct for that??

Please elaborate.

Dave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam

OpenDRC-AN input & output level questions 3 years 9 months ago #22878

• dprice
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm using the OpenDRC-AN as a 2-way crossover. My problem is that the input level to the amplifiers is too low and I was trying to figure out if it was something I was doing wrong or just that I simply need a higher input level to the OpenDRC units. Adding the ART Cleanbox Pro allowed me to increase the input level to the OpenDRC units (and the corresponding output levels) so I think that will solve my problem. Now I have to experiment with the levels from the AVR, plug-in, ART unit, and amps to balance it out and get rid of a ground loop hum that I introduced.

OpenDRC-AN input & output level questions 3 years 9 months ago #22880

• dreite
  • Platinum Boarder
Well, it sounds like your level issue existed before introduction of the OpenDRC units.
The OpenDRC unit is not designed for signal level boosting, per se, but it will perform that job...within reason.

It sounds like you have a gain structure issue elsewhere.

Dave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam

OpenDRC-AN input & output level questions 3 years 9 months ago #23155

• Thunderstruck
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Did you get you question answered? It didn't sound like it to me. I am doing the same thing as you. I'm taking preamp unbalanced outputs from pioneer and Yamaha AVRs to miniSHARC & AN-FP. At first I connected signal to XLR pin 2 and tied ground to XLR pin 1 & 3. It worked but I thought I needed my signal to be about 12dB higher. I got an ART Clean Box Pro and inserted it between my AVR pre outs and my AN-FP XLR balanced inputs. I adjusted the level on the ART CBP and hid it away. I use all kinds of shielding tricks and only a single ground point to get the various hums out. Boosting the signal up is also important. Get your dsp boards and signal wires away or shielded from power supplies and any AC. I spend all my time figuring out how to shield this stuff from noise. Don't bother when people disregard your question and ask you more questions like you don't know what you are doing. That is just typical message board stuff. Anyway, did your ART Clean box pro work? Did you ever get the noise out?

OpenDRC-AN input & output level questions 3 years 9 months ago #23162

• dreite
  • Platinum Boarder
Nobody's disregarding his questions and/or inferring he doesn't know what he's doing. I was just asking for some elaboration on his scheme and how he's addressing the "level" question he posed.

Certainly a user can add a gain stage upstream of the OpenDRC-AN unit to boost the internal levels. That seems to have solved the issue in this case, but I was just trying to deduce if there might be another issue at work here also.

Dave.

OpenDRC-AN input & output level questions 3 years 9 months ago #23163

• dprice
  • Fresh Boarder
My big question was whether or not I was doing something "wrong" like missing a step somewhere that would magically fix all of my problems. Running the cable TV line through a surge supressor eliminated most of the ground hum and dropping the ground on the Yamaha amps made them silent. Not an ideal solution but it worked. The ART Cleanbox Pro does a fine job of getting the levels up where they need to be....and the final step was a couple of rounds with the YPAO to balance the mains with the rest of the HT system.

I find that taking the time to write up a good question often results in my figuring out a likely answer about the time I am ready to post it.
Moderators: devteam