Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This forum is community powered. Please be mindful that long time community members are here to help as part of a community effort. If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure), please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us). Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community. :-)
  • Page:

TOPIC: SD Card usage on miniShark

SD Card usage on miniShark 4 years 3 months ago #19697

• mr-marlen
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
@@The ESS DACs do not recover MCLK from BCK but perform a resampling using the local (low jitter) clock if used in asynchronous mode. And this resampling works very well. Therefore DevTeams suggestion makes sense. No need to be sarcastic ;-)@@
I'm agree that my sarcastic was not necessary but what if I don't want to use ESS9018 due to its cost and ESS9023 due to it's poor performance?
@@Guess you are aware that those isolators may also introduce some jitter (up to 1ns compared to 1ps of a good XO). No specs available for the ADUM [email protected]@
I don't care about ADUM jitter because it will be eliminated.
Once more...my only one MCLK gen is directly near my DAC. When I2S signals from ADUM coming to DAC it is reclocking with gen's lowest jitter as possible.
@@Having said that I think that isolation can make sense if you have your grounding scheme well [email protected]@
Agree but anyway it is better than have DSP and digital source ground on DAC board.
@@But I think in case of connecting several third party hardware you'd better use two master clocks and either reclock or resample for lowest [email protected]@
And what about EMI?

I think in case of designing any DAC the best MCLK place is directly near to DAC.
That is why i think there is really no need to have MCLK on miniSHARC board. It will be the best solution if there will be miniSHARC board with ADUM1401+1300/ISO7241+ISO7230 already implemented and will accept external MCLK with it's controlling through this isolators. Due to this there will be no problem to connect any DAC with his own gen and to connect 2 or 4 miniSHARC's in stack to have 6k taps for each channel with full sync. (Ofc. If there will be FFT base convolution with decimation 1 board of miniSHARC will be enough).
This is my opinion only and i don't ask miniDSP to make it, because i have enough resources of 1 miniSHARC board.
Anyway many thanks for miniSHARC device and it's software.
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by mr-marlen.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

SD Card usage on miniShark 4 years 3 months ago #19698

• DorinD
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
[/quote]"...I wonder if it's indeed some sort of grounding issue on that custom enclosure. Is the chassis grounded? (i.e. earthed). We can't see from that angle./DevTeam[/quote]

That case it's not custom made, it's just an Hammond make. Indeed, it isn't earthed.
/Dorin

SD Card usage on miniShark 4 years 1 week ago #20985

• mr-marlen
  • Senior Boarder
mr-marlen wrote:
What if i make device which will emulate high impedance on MCLK pad on SHARC board like with using tri/state pin?
Ups...I am already have such device - ADUM1401. I need to connect miniSHARC controlling generator pin (tri/state pin1 on gen) to VOD of ADUM1401 and test it :).
I have been made this test. 1 month of tests with every week check show that SHARC is working correctly and saving configs. ADUM1401/ISO7241M can replace SHARC MCLK generator.
So there is no problem to make fully synchronous system using 2 or more miniSHARC boards without clock difference.
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam

SD Card usage on miniShark 4 years 1 week ago #21063

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1039
@ mr-marlen,

Thanks for the update. That sounds like a neat setup by now. :-)
Pictures?

DevTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.

SD Card usage on miniShark 3 years 11 months ago #21283

• mr-marlen
  • Senior Boarder
You can find pictures of my project here minidsp.com/forum/diy-hifi-projects/1082...c-amanero-4xpcm1794a
For now there is 2 wires from ADUM1401 to miniSHARC board contact pads of gen.

I put here a picture "How to connect" miniSHARC with desoldered gen to masterDAC. To connect more than 2 miniSHARC boards you will need additional ADUM1401. I2S BCK, DATA, LRCK didn't show.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

SD Card usage on miniShark 1 year 6 months ago #36144

• Bart11
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello Everybody !
I know this thread is quite old, but my question fits decently with some ideas that have been expressed here.
I want to use the MINISHARC in slave mode (input and output).
As far as I understand the ASCR will be turned off. So far so good.
The requirement here is that: "...the connected device must provide a bit clock and word clock at the sample rate of the loaded plugin – that is, 48 or 96 kHz. The clocks must be provided to both sets of clock lines..."
Well no. I will provide a word clock and bit clock at 44.1Khz. So obviously something will not work.
So what I want to do is replace the MINISHARC's Master clock (MCLK) with another clock rated at 22.5792Mhz instead of 24.576 MHz.
So now the clocks are compatible! How could the MINISHARC know that he is running slower on another clock? He doesn't becasue that is his reference clock. Maybe the Plug-ins will be unhappy and shift some of the frequencies, but we can compensate for that. Comments/thoughts /suggestions welcome. :whistle:
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Bart11.
  • Page:
Moderators: devteam