Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

I2S input DAC using ES9023 for miniSHARC or 2x8 9 years 3 weeks ago #11868

• curryman
  • curryman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 181
Thanks, I've received your mail and will come back to you this evening (German time ;) )

regards, Daniel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I2S input DAC using ES9023 for miniSHARC or 2x8 9 years 3 weeks ago #11870

• orangeart
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 18
Good that you two are getting together on this. Sounds like it might be a very worthwhile project.

Chris we spoke over on DIYA a few times and you had some very good ideas about adding connection for the digi/AN-fp boards and for reverse engingeering the comms protocol that minidsp use between minisharc and digi/AN-fp so that you would be able to change between DSP configurations. If you manage to pull that off between you it'd be awesome.

It might be worth waiting for specification for the new connector pin outs for the slave/ASRC which dev team seemed to imply they would get round to very soon after CES. Also it would be cool if down the line we could easily add in Ian's fifo for clocking everything centrally. That way for those of us using USB board that can only be master, the clock could be stripped an re-clocked and your board could do all of the rest of the fanout/signal switching etc.

Might also be worth having a chat with Jeff at enlighten (corresponding on my minisharc future thread) he seems VERY clued up on all of this stuff.

My knowledge is no where near high enough to help with any of this but if we end up in a GB then I can help there :)

...........Probably jumping the gun on all of this!!

Stefan

Last edit: by orangeart.

I2S input DAC using ES9023 for miniSHARC or 2x8 9 years 3 weeks ago #11871

• hochopeper
  • Thank you received: 5
@curryman, my post was just to make sure you checked spam filter etc in case your email system got a bit overzealous!! Looking at time zones I guess I'll have an email to read on Tuesday morning B)

Good that you two are getting together on this. Sounds like it might be a very worthwhile project.

Chris we spoke over on DIYA a few times and you had some very good ideas about adding connection for the digi/AN-fp boards and for reverse engingeering the comms protocol that minidsp use between minisharc and digi/AN-fp so that you would be able to change between DSP configurations. If you manage to pull that off between you it'd be awesome.

It might be worth waiting for specification for the new connector pin outs for the slave/ASRC which dev team seemed to imply they would get round to very soon after CES. Also it would be cool if down the line we could easily add in Ian's fifo for clocking everything centrally. That way for those of us using USB board that can only be master, the clock could be stripped an re-clocked and your board could do all of the rest of the fanout/signal switching etc.

Might also be worth having a chat with Jeff at enlighten (corresponding on my minisharc future thread) he seems VERY clued up on all of this stuff.

My knowledge is no where near high enough to help with any of this but if we end up in a GB then I can help there :)

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

Good to hear from you, hope all is well!

I wasn't expecting the pin outs to change with the new firmware but since I've spent almost no time on the PCB layout just yet I'm not too worried. I'm getting an upgraded version of Eagle in the next week or so to let me work on a 4 or 6 layer PCB for the interface because there will be a fair few signals roaming around the board and it will give a better layout. My interface board concept will have i2s slave input ports so that USB cards that are i2s master to interface to the miniSHARC. I'll hopefully start writing the controller code in the next few weeks.

I have got some of Ian's FIFO gear here already in my headphone system and have become reasonable friends with him over emails over the last 12 months (I wrote the wiki for the FIFO project to help people get around the vast amount of info buried in those threads). If/when his multichannel FIFO becomes a reality I'm hoping to give it a go with my miniSHARC(s). That option is what has me keeping my options flexible for the output interface from my miniSHARCs and I why I'm focused on a flexible input interface.

Cheers,
Chris

I2S input DAC using ES9023 for miniSHARC or 2x8 9 years 3 weeks ago #11873

• Builder Brad
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 3

Hey Curryman!
I recd my DAC boards and Minishark.
looks good!
I want to simplify the I2S out connections from the Minisharc to the your DACs. looks like ribbon cable with IDC connections are the way to go.
are you only connecting DATA out and gnd to your DACs?
cheers

Besides DATA and GND you need to connect LRCK and BCK! The latter should be feed through the (stacked) DACs. The star type layout shown above also works but signal quality is better when a BUS is used.
@hochopeper: We should get in contact since I almost finished quite the same (also the same situation: no free time to finish) ;)
regards, Daniel

cheers Daniel,

was confused as the J2 designation on the MiniSharc did not show LRCKout or BCKout. they are shown as inputs! on reading the manual its a little bit clearer.

I was going to put the DACS as close to the Minisharc, although its going to be tight to stack everything as I also have a Buffalo DAC to fit in, which has the Legato i/v stacked underneath.

Brad

I2S input DAC using ES9023 for miniSHARC or 2x8 9 years 3 weeks ago #11876

• orangeart
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 18

@curryman, my post was just to make sure you checked spam filter etc in case your email system got a bit overzealous!! Looking at time zones I guess I'll have an email to read on Tuesday morning B)

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

Good to hear from you, hope all is well!

I wasn't expecting the pin outs to change with the new firmware but since I've spent almost no time on the PCB layout just yet I'm not too worried. I'm getting an upgraded version of Eagle in the next week or so to let me work on a 4 or 6 layer PCB for the interface because there will be a fair few signals roaming around the board and it will give a better layout. My interface board concept will have i2s slave input ports so that USB cards that are i2s master to interface to the miniSHARC. I'll hopefully start writing the controller code in the next few weeks.

I have got some of Ian's FIFO gear here already in my headphone system and have become reasonable friends with him over emails over the last 12 months (I wrote the wiki for the FIFO project to help people get around the vast amount of info buried in those threads). If/when his multichannel FIFO becomes a reality I'm hoping to give it a go with my miniSHARC(s). That option is what has me keeping my options flexible for the output interface from my miniSHARCs and I why I'm focused on a flexible input interface.

Cheers,
Chris

Well I'm very much looking forward to seeing how all this pans out. The MiniSHARC seems to be gathering a following now and that seems to be spawning a few side projects which are very interesting.

I've read your FIFO wiki, it's very good and I have a lot of questions about how it might interface with my system, I may ask you one day but perhaps I'll wait until this board is done to see how it all can fit together.

Devteam mentioned in one of my threads (can't remember which) that and SRC input would have to be on a different pin, maybe they'll come along and clarify?

There are a couple of really good minisharc based threads here now that are pushing forward with the possibilities. Hopefully dev team can lend their input to them as well now CES has finished :-)

Stefan

I2S input DAC using ES9023 for miniSHARC or 2x8 9 years 2 weeks ago #11910

• devteam
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1452
Dear All,

I concur that there is indeed some exciting projects ongoing with the miniSHARC. It's quite exciting to see all the projects ongoing and we look forward to hearing back from them. Right now, the miniSHARC still remains a product requiring some knowledge to put it together, looking at the little eco-system of boards that all DIYers are working on, it is really starting to look neat!

As for future, post CES, it's been a very hectic month of Nov/Dec 2013. For those with product dev experience, 2 new products don't come at a low cost of engineering resources. We're hoping to recover from it shortly and will try to push few of the ideas we intend to do (e.g. ASRC + Slave). Will keep you guys updated.

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

Moderators: devteam