Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New OpenDRC Plug In Suggestion 10 years 5 months ago #6257

• kcadam81
  • kcadam81's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
As I've worked a bit with my OpenDRC, there are a few suggestions I'd like to pass along:

I would give up the FIR section of the 2x2 plug-in for more IIR filters including the ability to insert all-pass filters. Everything I've looked at for FIR implementation with the open DRC involves taking a room measurement and a piece of software inserting an insane amount of EQ filters. The problem that I've seen with this method is that the pieces of software are in no-way taking into account things that EQ shouldn't be correcting, like reflections. My analyzing and EQ abilities are a bit more advanced and I want to be the one making the EQing decisions for my system. Additionally, given a perfect environment, my speakers are extremely well behaved -- they do not require radical EQ changes.

So by creating a plug in that removes the FIR section, I figure there will be plenty of DSP for more conventional EQ filters and even running all those filters at 96k instead of 48k.

Bring the metering to the front screen. There are times I want to be able to monitor all the levels in my system. Clicking on one monitor button at a time isn't giving me all the information at once. How about moving these meters (and making them a lot skinnier) to be right next to the input and output faders?

Change the velocity curve of the volume knob so that turning down the volume requires less spins of the dial. The 0.5db steps are great for turning the volume up, but if I want to turn something down fast, those tiny steps turn that into a chore. I'd be into 2db steps for turning the knob downward.

The audio on/off button in the software should be instantaneous. If I need to the turn the audio off in a quick second, the fade-out is unwanted. I can fade audio myself using the dial.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: New OpenDRC Plug In Suggestion 10 years 5 months ago #6295

• devteam
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1451
Hello,

Thanks for your feedback as it's always good to hear some feedback..

- Making a more featured DSP with IIR only could indeed be done. Note that it'd be closer to a miniDSP 2x4 by then so not exactly the direction we're being asked by the community with this product here. Anyway, it doesn't mean that in the future, we wouldn't do it... :-)

- Metering at the front. That's indeed something that could be done on the plug-in. We'll think of it in a future version.

- Velocity curve: That's a good idea.. optimizing these curve could be done in the future.

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

Re: New OpenDRC Plug In Suggestion 10 years 5 months ago #6307

• kcadam81
  • kcadam81's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Admittedly I'm not in tune with the community using this product as my knowledge and practice is in large-scale live sound systems. That being said, I chose the OpenDRC because I felt DSP-wise it was a step in the direction I wanted to go and it was your latest and most advanced. I'm hoping that you'll continue to consider my proposition for a plug in that doesn't use FIR. Surely there's room for both types of plug-ins for your device. I simply have no use for current implementations of FIR solutions for this product.

Re: New OpenDRC Plug In Suggestion 10 years 5 months ago #6335

• devteam
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1451
Sure, we're always happy to hear suggestions... :-) I was just saying that an IIR based DSP wasn't the concept behind the product (OpenDRC = Open Digital Room Correction using FIR). But we appreciate the idea and knowing it's a firmware + software configuration, it's always easier. Not implying that it's a 5 min job though, building such software/DSP configuration is always a month job at least.

Hoping this clarifies.

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

• Page:
Moderators: devteam