Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: DIY solution for HDMI to 8ch digital out

DIY solution for HDMI to 8ch digital out 10 months 5 days ago #49219

• jan.p.ho
  • Fresh Boarder
Be aware that you have to download the Meridian mConfig software (it’s freeware) and configure the processor once via RS232 to output 8ch and not high resolution.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

DIY solution for HDMI to 8ch digital out 10 months 5 days ago #49220

• rhollan
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
At what levels? I would expect AES/EBU over 4 XLR connectors normally. 4 balanced without shield will work over 8P8C but what about interfacing to normal AES/EBU inputs? Is it simply a matter of making a wiring harness or are level changes required?

DIY solution for HDMI to 8ch digital out 10 months 5 days ago #49221

• jan.p.ho
  • Fresh Boarder
Here's a PinOut and some compatibilitys. I really don't know what level this will output, but - it is standard in industry... Quad Twisted Pair (QTP) has a break out board (just a pcb with tracks) from rj45 to DB25 tascam or Yamaha pinout, and maybe you can get a nice tascam or Yamaha db25 patch cable.

c3f18fc2-65b9-4e62-8935-5869ea133f25.fil...9a6ae40a9d318ef6.pdf
c3f18fc2-65b9-4e62-8935-5869ea133f25.fil...985be2448541075d.pdf

I am probably the only one using (abusing) the meridian processor this way. Never heard it anywhere else.

I came across it, when someone wanted to know if he can connect his professional projector with a rj45 aes out to a meridian surround sound processor. And that was possible right away so I figured why not the other way round.
Last Edit: 10 months 5 days ago by jan.p.ho.

DIY solution for HDMI to 8ch digital out 10 months 5 days ago #49223

• rhollan
  • Gold Boarder
jan.p.ho wrote:
Here's a PinOut and some compatibilitys. I really don't know what level this will output, but - it is standard in industry... Quad Twisted Pair (QTP) has a break out board (just a pcb with tracks) from rj45 to DB25 tascam or Yamaha pinout, and maybe you can get a nice tascam or Yamaha db25 patch cable.

c3f18fc2-65b9-4e62-8935-5869ea133f25.fil...9a6ae40a9d318ef6.pdf
c3f18fc2-65b9-4e62-8935-5869ea133f25.fil...985be2448541075d.pdf

I am probably the only one using (abusing) the meridian processor this way. Never heard it anywhere else.

I came across it, when someone wanted to know if he can connect his professional projector with a rj45 aes out to a meridian surround sound processor. And that was possible right away so I figured why not the other way round.

Ah! This I understand. Tascam and Yamaha pinouts cover up to 8x AES/EBU at expected levels. Made plenty of breakout cables. I'm guessing the 8P8C cable is shielded and connected to the relevent pins at the other end (for purposes of a shield ground and not signal ground as the signals are balanced).

Only 1080p but fine for use with an auxiliary "audio only" HDMI output that delivers 4k on the main output.

DIY solution for HDMI to 8ch digital out 10 months 5 days ago #49224

• jan.p.ho
  • Fresh Boarder
If you’re willing to throw in more money there is a new UHd722 or so that can handle UHD
Last Edit: 10 months 5 days ago by jan.p.ho.

DIY solution for HDMI to 8ch digital out 10 months 5 days ago #49225

• rhollan
  • Gold Boarder
A little rich for my blood. I don't need it as an HDMI switch.

DIY solution for HDMI to 8ch digital out 8 months 1 week ago #50198

• Kiroomar
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Just bumping the thread with the conclusion to the internal header output for anyone interested.

I bought a decent scope and checked J2:9, but no signal, decided to poke around at other pins just because and found MCLK is actually on J2:11 contrary to miniSHARC interface.

So here is the header info for interfacing via i2s; viewed as if front panel is farthest from you and rear connectors are closest to you. All signals are 3.3v, and MCLK is 24.576MHz. Power header near power input has GND on left pins and 5v on right pins.

The WM8804 converter I got works, I took differential outputs direct to RCA & XLR and tested on S/PDIF & AES/EDU of my speakers, and both worked great.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: rhollan

DIY solution for HDMI to 8ch digital out 7 months 4 days ago #50708

jan.p.ho wrote:
That’s what they tell you.
I can tell you, that I’m using a Dolby cp650 with it ;) via 4 stereo channels over 4 aes

Well there is one thing. You can’t go higher than 48khz. Above that it is encrypted.

Do you know if that was 24bit?

All the searching I did seemed to think it was only 16bit.

DIY solution for HDMI to 8ch digital out 7 months 20 hours ago #50761

• jan.p.ho
  • Fresh Boarder
I think it‘s possible to go with 24bit. But most blu rays give out 16bit, no?
Let’s say this. In my Setup it’s connected to a blu ray player one of the big ones from Sony as well as an Apple TV and I never had a problem.

Greetings,
Moderators: devteam