Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This forum is community powered. Please be mindful that long time community members are here to help as part of a community effort. If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure), please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us). Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community. :-)

TOPIC: DIY solution for HDMI to 8ch digital out

DIY solution for HDMI to 8ch digital out 2 years 7 months ago #13919

• nihtila
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Hi

I have been playing with miniDSP boards and my own DAC experiments and nanoAVR seems like an interesting processor for multichannel system (which I don't have atm). It immediately gives me an idea of the chain: sources -> nanoAVR -> 8ch DAC -> 8ch preamp/amp. The problem, or the new thing, is the HDMI.

Does someone know a way to include HDMI in your DIY solution and get the 8 channels of digital audio out of it? HDMI uses some kind of handshaking so I'm thinking of some kind of interface IC or evaluation module I could put in front of 8 channel DAC. Or is DSP/FPGA the only option? Also some ready-made or semi-ready-made solutions can be suggested although it would be very neat to have just one HDMI cable going to the DIY box which then outputs 8 analog channels.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

DIY solution for HDMI to 8ch digital out 2 years 7 months ago #13946

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 632
@nihtila

Thanks for your interest in the nanoAVR, unfortunately I'm afraid that this product isn't a DIY product due to licensing issue. i.e. we can't provide a way to perform HDMI to I2S with this board.

Sorry we're not able to help.

DevTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.

DIY solution for HDMI to 8ch digital out 2 years 7 months ago #13951

• nihtila
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
I did some googling yesterday and yes, I also think such is the case. I thought it would be license-free since Dolby Digital / DTS is not involved anymore but obviously HDMI has similar harm. We should have a representative of DIY-community in those boards deciding about the standards and their licensing ;)

So I guess I will continue my projects in 2.1-channel world. However, nanoAVR indeed is an interesting product and if I go (back) to multichannel it will most probably stand between my sources and av-receiver.

DIY solution for HDMI to 8ch digital out 1 year 11 months ago #17208

• dmaslow
  • Fresh Boarder
In case someone is still interested there has been a solution for a while if I understand the goal here: JVB modded Oppo - > 7.1 channel dac

In the use case above the connection would be: source -> NanoAvr -> JVB modded Oppo -> exasound e28 multichannel dac or a DIY 8 channel PCM DAC -> PreAmp/Amp
Oppo has hdmi/optical input that excepts Dolby Digital/DTS and will convert to PCM so you can get DD/DTS. But you would need 2 Oppos: Source/Tivo/Apple TV -> oppo -> NanoAvr -> JVB modded Oppo -> exasound e28 multichannel dac or a DIY 8 channel PCM DAC-> PreAmp/Amp

I was thinking of going this route with the trinnov EQ that excepts dig PCM upto 16 channels. I was going to do: source-> JVB modded Oppo - > Trinnov -> PreAmp. But luckily they invented the DL & saved me $12-14K. So maybe my research can benefit somebody.

DIY solution for HDMI to 8ch digital out 1 year 11 months ago #17221

• fderks
  • Fresh Boarder
www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%204x2_7_1audio.html

In this box the four data, bit clock, word clock and L/R select lines are easy accessible.
With 4 digital interface transceiver or sample rate converter chips it isn't too difficult to get 4 spdiff outputs.
It might even be possible to use one of the JVB mod boards to get the 4 spdiff outputs.

The Octava box also has editable edit configurations so the player will output 8 channels LPCM.

My nanoAVR's ouput is connected to this hdmi switch and I get 4 spdiff channels into my Denon AV Amp that has the ability to combine four spdiff inputs into an 8 channel ext digital input.

DIY solution for HDMI to 8ch digital out 1 year 2 months ago #21196

• chmed
  • Fresh Boarder
devteam wrote:
@nihtila

Thanks for your interest in the nanoAVR, unfortunately I'm afraid that this product isn't a DIY product due to licensing issue. i.e. we can't provide a way to perform HDMI to I2S with this board.

Sorry we're not able to help.

DevTeam

So, I suspect that this answers my question. But, I'll ask it straight out. Can I get the nanoAVR HDA board/s without the case? I'm interested in integrating everything (amps etc) into one case and saving a few bucks on the case (and shipping) since I wouldn't be using it. And while on the topic of the case, does it really come with that silk screen of a band and crowd? I certainly hope that it's available in plain.

DIY solution for HDMI to 8ch digital out 1 year 2 months ago #21220

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 632
@ chmed,

Unfortunately we don't have a product offering of the nanoAVR without the case (i.e. not really adding much cost actually/same shipping cost). If you don't like the front panel, you can easily replace it by tearing it off. It's easy. :-)

DevTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.

DIY solution for HDMI to 8ch digital out 11 months 3 weeks ago #22600

• krassyg
  • Fresh Boarder
Any info on the I2S lines for this box?
fderks wrote:
www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%204x2_7_1audio.html

In this box the four data, bit clock, word clock and L/R select lines are easy accessible.
With 4 digital interface transceiver or sample rate converter chips it isn't too difficult to get 4 spdiff outputs.
It might even be possible to use one of the JVB mod boards to get the 4 spdiff outputs.

The Octava box also has editable edit configurations so the player will output 8 channels LPCM.

My nanoAVR's ouput is connected to this hdmi switch and I get 4 spdiff channels into my Denon AV Amp that has the ability to combine four spdiff inputs into an 8 channel ext digital input.

DIY solution for HDMI to 8ch digital out 11 months 3 weeks ago #22603

• fderks
  • Fresh Boarder
Not yet. I'm planning to back engineer the pinout of the expansion headers early next year.
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds