Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Main forum for support questions you may have for the community. Post your issues and we'll all try to help resolve them.

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

can i process surround sound? 8 years 2 days ago #10776

• nstone79
  • nstone79's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Please forgive my lack of knowledge... I have a very basic understanding of DSP, I think: analog audio>ADC>digital "slices" of the analog input(effectively a number)>DSP, which is basicly just a function( in-num>DSP function>out-num) > DAC > analog output.

So my question is could I use something like the digiDSP to take Dolby 5/7.1 in, decode, extract additional surround channels which get feed to a separate amp, rencode and pass along the modified 5/7.1 on to my onkyo reciever( no pre-outs). The intention here would be to utilize my existing 7.1 receiver while adding extra surround channels and/or extra channels for low freq. Transducers built in to the furniture(home theater setup)?

Is this possible using any mini DSP products? Or is the issue encoding/decoding the surround sound?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

can i process surround sound? 8 years 2 days ago #10777

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1588
I believe miniDSP/devteam have stated on the forum that the licensing costs for decoding 5.1/7.1 would be prohibitive.

One solution may be to use a decoder that has 5.1 or 7.1 analog outputs. Some DVD and Blu-ray players have 7.1 analog outputs. The OPPO players even have an HDMI input that allows them to be a decoder for data from a different source.
I am not miniDSP support.

"You must ask the right questions." - Dr. Alfred Lanning's hologram.
-> Have you read the User Manual??
-> Have you drawn and posted a diagram?
-> Have you posted a screenshot?
-> Have you posted your config file?
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam

can i process surround sound? 8 years 15 hours ago #10817

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1300
John is entirely correct (as always.. :-), no plans to perform dolby/DTS decoding I'm afraid. You'd need a device able to decode it first.

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

can i process surround sound? 1 month 2 weeks ago #56869

• belgiansound
  • Thank you received: 0
What kind of processor can you use? I currently use the mini dsp 10x10 as a preamp, I would not like to add to many devices to my setup.

• Page:
Moderators: devteam