Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Main forum for support questions you may have for the community. Post your issues and we'll all try to help resolve them.

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Characteristic sounds of various crossover types/slopes? 2 months 2 weeks ago #66855

• cgallery
  • cgallery's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello everyone.  I'm a new 2x4 HD user.

My speakers are DIY.  Basically stereo "subs" (more like woofers) using 12" GRS 12-SW4 woofers in aperiodic enclosures, and stereo full-ranges using Faital 3F322 drivers in sealed enclosures.  Amplification is via two SMSL SA-98E amplifiers, each on its own Mean Well power supply.  Previous crossover was a PLLXO (Passive Line Level Xover) that was DIY. 

I wanted to try the MiniDSP for more flexibility regarding configuration/setup.  For a long-time, I've put this off having read reports of unacceptable levels of noise/hiss.  I'm happy to report that this has not been an issue for me.  Sure, there is a tiny bit of hiss but it cannot be heard except for when I'm right up on the full-range speakers, and is less than I've heard from other active crossovers I've tried.

I unpacked this MiniDSP unit, downloaded the software, and configured the unit for 300-Hz 24dB Linkwitz Riley slopes.  My PLLXO was 12dB/octave on the high-pass and 6db/octave on the low-pass (both 300-Hz), and honestly I'm not sure what alignment that was, I simply downloaded a spreadsheet from a website and proceeded with the #'s derived.

I've verified things work as expected but figured it would be nice to perhaps mess around with other filter types/slopes, but I'm not sure where to start.

Any tips for a newbie on integrating a full-range driver at a higher crossover point, with a 12" woofer.  Do some types of crossovers/slops do better at higher frequencies (300-Hz) than the 24dB LR when it comes to seamless driver integration?

Any tips/suggestions on things worth trying, would be welcome.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Characteristic sounds of various crossover types/slopes? 2 months 1 week ago #66931

• andyr
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 23
OK, so:

*  before, (with a PLLXO) you had 12dB/octave on the HP and 6db/octave on the LP (both @300Hz)

*  now, you have 24dB L-R slopes @ 300-Hz.

I would suggest this is a great solution.     The only thing that you might like to try - to make it sound better - is to lower the XO point.  (I don't know how low the Faital driver can go to.)

This is easy to do with a miniDSP - so just set it 10Hz lower each time ... and listen to the result!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: devteam