Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Main forum for support questions you may have for the community. Post your issues and we'll all try to help resolve them.

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Can I bypass the DAC oversamplingfilter? 1 month 4 weeks ago #63088

• asx77
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 119

Great - thanks a lot 

This is really appreciated, I also contacted the MiniDSP development team. And they kindly explained how the ASR graphs are wrong, like it is explained in this thread.

Best regards
Alfegutt:-)

@alfegutt
Did support explain how ASR came to get it wrong? As @mdsimon suggests, did they say it was the source ASR was using? Presumably set up to send a signal with a brick wall filter on it. Always thought Amir was pretty thorough. Goes to show everyone makes mistakes. 
Warning: Just because I'm a 'Platinum' member, doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about... It just means I've asked too many questions!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by asx77.

Can I bypass the DAC oversamplingfilter? 1 month 3 weeks ago #63098

• alfegutt
  • alfegutt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
The full answer from the development team is attached below:
"
a) That ASR measurement was actually an artifact. The 2x4HD will "always" process at 96kHz. It will always roll off at 48kHz (i.e. nyquist). We had chatted with Amir back then about this. He didn't have the platform. That was more than 4years ago (older measurement AP). 
b) So to answer your question, the 2x4HD will indeed use the DAC brickwall filter since it's running at 96kHz. "

However, as shown by @mdsimon2, the filter seems to be steeper when feed an 192 kHz signal (filter at 48 kHz) compared to feeding 44 kHz (filter at 20 kHz), is that correctly spotted or is it just that the scales on the graphs trick me?

The following user(s) said Thank You: asx77

Can I bypass the DAC oversamplingfilter? 1 month 3 weeks ago #63103

• mdsimon2
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 100
IMO the apparent steepness of my 192 kHz input measurement is the log frequency scale. Here is the same 192 kHz white noise input measurement using a linear scale like the 44.1 kHz measurement. This probably gives the best characterization of the bandwidth of the 2x4HD and what the combined ASRC / DAC reconstruction filter looks like.

Also, the reason my previous 192 kHz measurement was "fuzzy" was I was overloading the filter with too high of level. This measurement is done at an appropriate level to show the true response of the filter.

Michael
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: alfegutt

Last edit: by mdsimon2.
  • Page:
Moderators: devteam