Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Main forum for support questions you may have for the community. Post your issues and we'll all try to help resolve them.

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

2 x 4 Input gain setting 2 months 1 day ago #62979

• grtpumpkin
  • grtpumpkin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
Should the input gain on the mini dsp 2x4 be maxed out to 0 db?
In other words, if the input gain is maxed out at 0 db, does this leave no room for EQ boosts and cause distortion if boosted?
  Please advise.
          Rich.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 x 4 Input gain setting 2 months 1 day ago #62982

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 518
Whether digital clipping may be an issue will depend on input signal levels. If these can reach 0 dB then you'll want some attenuation if EQ boosts are applied. This doesn't necessarily have to be at the input though I believe, and can also be done via the master volume or on the outputs. This is because all such adjustments occur in the digital domain on the DSP chip.

2 x 4 Input gain setting 2 months 1 day ago #62990

• grtpumpkin
I'm still a little bit confused on this. In the 2wayadv software under audio settings, input gain, should the inputs  not  be set to 0 db or is it ok to set it to the maximum of 0 db?
Maximum voltage that will be supplied to the inputs will be no greater than 2.3 volts at any given time. If I set it to 0db, does that leave no headroom for boosting frequencies in the EQ adjustments without introducing distortion? This application is for car audio where analog line level outputs sent to the mini dsp input will be set at 2.3 volts at maximum volume, ensuring that nothing higher than 2.3 volts will ever be sent to the mini dsp.
  Please advise.
          Rich.

2 x 4 Input gain setting 2 months 1 day ago #62991

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I'm still a little bit confused on this. In the 2wayadv software under audio settings, input gain, should the inputs  not  be set to 0 db or is it ok to set it to the maximum of 0 db?
Maximum voltage that will be supplied to the inputs will be no greater than 2.3 volts at any given time. If I set it to 0db, does that leave no headroom for boosting frequencies in the EQ adjustments without introducing distortion? This application is for car audio where analog line level outputs sent to the mini dsp input will be set at 2.3 volts at maximum volume, ensuring that nothing higher than 2.3 volts will ever be sent to the mini dsp.
  Please advise.
          Rich.

My answer above still really covers this. If at any point the signal actually reaches the maximum then you'd have no headroom for EQ boosts and so you would get distortion if any were applied. You could either attenuate the analogue input signal or apply attenuation in the digital domain to counter this.

2 x 4 Input gain setting 2 months 1 day ago #62992

• grtpumpkin
Thanks.
Got it now. I will set it at -2 db to leave me some headroom. I can see when online in the plug in, that when close to maximum volume it comes very close to redlining at 0 db.
Was actually trying to get more output from the dsp to feed my amp to allow for a lower amplifier gain setting.

2 x 4 Input gain setting 2 months 1 day ago #62993

• grtpumpkin
Would adding the master volume control, as outlined in section 5.5 on page 42 of the user manual, allow more output to feed my amplifier? 

Rich

2 x 4 Input gain setting 2 months 15 hours ago #62996

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Would adding the master volume control, as outlined in section 5.5 on page 42 of the user manual, allow more output to feed my amplifier? 

I'm not sure. If nobody else replies with the answer I'd suggest you contact miniDSP support directly.

My guess is that the answer is no, with nothing you can do likely to allow the miniDSP to exceed its stated 0.9 Vrms maximum output level. If this isn't high enough then I'm sure there must be fixed gain pre-amp options you could use. In case you haven't spotted it, note that there is a car audio specific forum section here:

www.minidsp.com/forum/car-audio-projects

I'm mentioning this as my personal experience of miniDSPs in the car audio setting is non-existent!

• Page:
Moderators: devteam