Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Main forum for support questions you may have for the community. Post your issues and we'll all try to help resolve them.

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Flex or SHD? 2 months 1 week ago #62880

• mitop
  • mitop's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I am on the lookout for a DAC which can apply dsp via Dirac to a connected CD player and also to a Roon endpoint. I suspect that Roon would connect over Ethernet and the CD player over spdf (coaxial I would think). I think the SHD would defintely do this, but would the flex too? If the flex cannot act as a Roon endpoint, I could keep my raspberry pi (my roon streamer via ropieee) and connect over usb in that scenario.
Thanks for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by mitop.

Flex or SHD? 2 months 6 days ago #62888

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 518
The Flex cannot act as a Roon endpoint but the SHD series models can. As well as lacking Roon certification, the Flex models have no internet connectivity (ethernet or WiFi).

You can functionally do what you described with a Flex if your Raspberry Pi does the Roon part.

Two distinctions between the SHD and Flex that may be of interest is that the SHD runs Dirac Live at an internal 96 kHz sample rate whereas the Flex does so at 48 kHz, and it's possible to use a Surface Dial as a remote volume control for the (Neo3) SHD models (which any new one you buy would be).
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam, Tony_J, mitop

Flex or SHD? 2 months 3 days ago #62940

• mitop
  • mitop's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you Ultrasonic. I think the SHD is a functionaly better fit for me overall. I need to get the funds together now, and there are also not many outlets in the UK that sell it.

Flex or SHD? 2 months 3 days ago #62941

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 518

Thank you Ultrasonic. I think the SHD is a functionaly better fit for me overall. I need to get the funds together now, and there are also not many outlets in the UK that sell it.

I live in the UK for what it's worth. I'd suggest Strictly Stereo to buy from, as at least as I type this they have a 30 day returns policy should you end up being unhappy with your choice. I bought my own SHD from there.

(You can also just order direct from miniDSP but you will have no return option, and note there will be import costs to pay on top of the price you'll see. I did this with my first miniDSP, a 2x4 HD.)

• Page:
Moderators: devteam