Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Main forum for support questions you may have for the community. Post your issues and we'll all try to help resolve them.

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

2 way active cossover - Measurement and equalising of drivers nessesary? 1 month 2 weeks ago #56787

• Yems
  • Yems's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi there, i'm an new user of a SHD for Dirac room correction.
I use a stereo setup with active 2 way speakers with an active crossover.
I've set the manufacturers recommended crossover frequencies and filters.
Is it still nessesary or beneficial to measure and equalize the drivers as mentioned in the "Designing a 2-way active speaker" minidsp manual?
Do i really have to manually set the PEQ blocks on each output channel to shape the response of each driver in advance of Dirac processing?
Doesn't Dirac take care of any misalignment?

Thanks - Yems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Yems.

2 way active cossover - Measurement and equalising of drivers nessesary? 1 month 2 weeks ago #56795

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1299
@Yems

Sounds like an exciting project! 
While you could indeed do without the EQ, time alignment is strongly recommended so you have a uniform response from the speaker. You will get better results. 

Check out the app note here, it's not too hard and great knowledge when you go active. www.minidsp.com/applications/auto-eq-wit...measuring-time-delay
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yems

2 way active cossover - Measurement and equalising of drivers nessesary? 1 month 2 weeks ago #56797

• Yems
Thank you for your fast and interesting answer!

Yes, i forgot to mention that i got those values (0.4 ms) from the manufacturer. But after your kind hint i will
check those values by measuring them by myself.

Best Regards
Yems

2 way active cossover - Measurement and equalising of drivers nessesary? 1 month 2 weeks ago #56804

• Yems
@devteam

In the link you provided i found the following statement:

"Note: the method described here requires that you have already flattened the response of each driver
using parametric EQ or FIR filtering and adjusted their passband levels to be equal"

So i guess i have to do EQ to measure time alignment ... not that trivial, i'm afraid.

2 way active cossover - Measurement and equalising of drivers nessesary? 1 month 2 weeks ago #56805

• daveing
  • Thank you received: 2

that you have already flattened the response of each driver

Wouldn't that be what the manufacture was aiming for with their settings? I'd consider that already done.

2 way active cossover - Measurement and equalising of drivers nessesary? 1 month 2 weeks ago #56806

• Yems
I am provided with the crossover frequency/filter settings and the recommended time alignment delay - but no filtering parameters for flattening the response of each driver.
The response flattening is now done by SHD and Dirac. I now wanted to check if i can measure the same 0,4ms delay the manufacturer recommends...

2 way active cossover - Measurement and equalising of drivers nessesary? 1 month 2 weeks ago #56821

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1299
In that case, if you have the crossover + delay, you already have a starting point to run Dirac. You're all set. 
Did you try? You're not going to break anything to try things out. :-) 

Doing EQ before Dirac is just one way to optimize the "speaker EQ" before you do the "Room EQ". That's all. 

If you do both combines, that works fine too. You may just not be to fix everything. 
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

2 way active cossover - Measurement and equalising of drivers nessesary? 1 month 2 weeks ago #56826

• Yems
thank you!
Yes, i startet Dirac and i'm more than happy with the result ... i only have a terrible notch around 50 Hz (i have the worst case scenario: a nearly square room).
I just ordered a large porous absorber ... hope that will fix it ;-)  (it did in a simulation i ran)

• Page:
Moderators: devteam