Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Main forum for support questions you may have for the community. Post your issues and we'll all try to help resolve them.

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: Tighten subwoofer bass?

Tighten subwoofer bass? 2 weeks 4 days ago #49500

• PlanR
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello all,
I recently went dual sub (non matching) for a home stereo music listening system. Unfortunately the new 12 ported sub sounds a little sloppy to my ears. I've tried closing the ports and bass tightened a little. Is it possible to use minidsp to tighten the bass further and for overall better integration. Secondly is it possible to tame the very high end of my tweeters. I have a feeling the answer is going to be "yes" to both, but wanted to confirm before replacing my sub . Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tighten subwoofer bass? 2 weeks 4 days ago #49506

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 131
It depends what you mean by 'tighten'...

If you are finding certain bass notes too loud/boomy then yes miniDSP products can help with this. They can also help with sub integration, both with each other and with your main speakers but to what extent will depend what implementation you had in mind. Using a one of the 2 in / 4 out miniDSPs as a DAC/pre-amp is optimal in this regard.

The sense in which a miniDSP can't 'tighten' the bass of a ported sub to match a sealed sub is in terms of the impulse response / transient response, where the greater damping of sealed models will give them the edge. This is a real difference but in my experience it is MUCH more subtle than the larger differences you'll get in terms of sub/room/listening position interaction.

Tighten subwoofer bass? 2 weeks 4 days ago #49507

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Boarder
Oh and if you want to roll the treble off to your main speakers this is possible but you'd need to be using a 2 in / 4 out miniDSP as a pre-amp to do so (given the sub use as well).

The highest quality option for you would be an SHD. Cheaper options would be a 2x4 HD or DDRC-24. You'd need a UMIK-1 too, and be prepared to spend some time learning how best to optimise things. The results can be excellent but don't think this is going to be a 5 minute job and so isn't for everyone.
Last Edit: 2 weeks 4 days ago by Ultrasonic.

Tighten subwoofer bass? 2 weeks 4 days ago #49508

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Boarder
This may be obvious but note that where you've positioned your new sub will have a big impact on how it sounds.

Tighten subwoofer bass? 2 weeks 3 days ago #49515

• PlanR
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the informative replies.

Yes transient/impulse response is what I'm after. Just a little background on my setup. I have Vandersteen 2C's paired with a Vandy 2wq Sub. The 2wq is very musical and tight, but because I have a larger room, I wanted to add more bass"pressure" and I wanted to do it cheaply. I opted for a BIC PL-200, figuring I should go for the most bass I can and hoping it would sound musical enough. It pressurized the room well enough, but in hindsite this was not a very good plan. There are a few placement options I can try but they are somewhat limited. Will give that a shot and if it doesnt work out, I will step up to a non ported SVS subwoofer.
Moderators: devteam