Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Main forum for support questions you may have for the community. Post your issues and we'll all try to help resolve them.

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: Custom duty fee of minidsp SHD to US?

Custom duty fee of minidsp SHD to US? 4 months 2 weeks ago #48913

Guys, I am planning to join minidsp party. After several days of research, comparison and reading lots of reviews and comments. I decide to buy a SHD. Since I'm buying from US, and the price $1200, is there any custom duty fee? And how much it will be under current policy?

Many thanks

Zach
Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by zachery2006.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Custom duty fee of minidsp SHD to US? 4 months 2 weeks ago #48915

  • Espowilleit
  • Espowilleit's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 8
  • Thank you received: 2
  • Karma: 0
Last year I had the same question. You might want to have a look at following site: deercreekaudio.com, they are legit.

They are US based, bought my SHD at Deercreekaudio last year. Reasonable price and fast shipping.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Custom duty fee of minidsp SHD to US? 4 months 2 weeks ago #48916

Espowilleit wrote:
Last year I had the same question. You might want to have a look at following site: deercreekaudio.com, they are legit.

They are US based, bought my SHD at Deercreekaudio last year. Reasonable price and fast shipping.

Definitely checked already. they are out of stock of SHD. haha
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Custom duty fee of minidsp SHD to US? 4 months 2 weeks ago #48920

  • Jonners59
  • Jonners59's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 15
  • Thank you received: 1
  • Karma: 0
Of course you pay duty and the more expensive it is the more the US authorities will be hungry to have the revenues. Those taxes go to pay for all your services the state provides you with. It's part of your contribution to society. Nothing to do with miniDSP
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Custom duty fee of minidsp SHD to US? 4 months 2 weeks ago #48934

Jonners59 wrote:
Of course you pay duty and the more expensive it is the more the US authorities will be hungry to have the revenues. Those taxes go to pay for all your services the state provides you with. It's part of your contribution to society. Nothing to do with miniDSP

Totally understand, I just want to make sure that I don’t pay the duty way more than US retailer’s price.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Custom duty fee of minidsp SHD to US? 4 months 2 weeks ago #48957

  • FeathersMcGraw
  • FeathersMcGraw's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 26
  • Thank you received: 9
  • Karma: 1
I live in the USA and not quite a year ago purchased a miniDSP SHD from
the miniDSP web store.

Shortly after purchase, I received an email from DHL, the courier, that
sounded as if a duty charge might apply. I didn't receive any subsequent
correspondence that attempted to bill for a duty. The SHD was received
in a timely manner and without any fees that weren't explicitly stated at
the time of purchase.

Recent reading indicates that historically the USA has not subjected
Hong Kong to taxes or excise duties. Though, I did hear that there was
a recent comment from the orange one threatening to change this.

I do think you are right. If you can purchase through an authorized USA
retailer at a competitive price, that may be your safest approach. Though,
unless I missed a recent change, I think there is still no tax or excise duty.
But don't take my word for it, as things are so dynamic these days.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: zachery2006

Custom duty fee of minidsp SHD to US? 4 months 2 weeks ago #49014

FeathersMcGraw wrote:
I live in the USA and not quite a year ago purchased a miniDSP SHD from
the miniDSP web store.

Shortly after purchase, I received an email from DHL, the courier, that
sounded as if a duty charge might apply. I didn't receive any subsequent
correspondence that attempted to bill for a duty. The SHD was received
in a timely manner and without any fees that weren't explicitly stated at
the time of purchase.

Recent reading indicates that historically the USA has not subjected
Hong Kong to taxes or excise duties. Though, I did hear that there was
a recent comment from the orange one threatening to change this.

I do think you are right. If you can purchase through an authorized USA
retailer at a competitive price, that may be your safest approach. Though,
unless I missed a recent change, I think there is still no tax or excise duty.
But don't take my word for it, as things are so dynamic these days.

Thank you!! Ordered one from the manufacture.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Custom duty fee of minidsp SHD to US? 4 months 1 week ago #49178

Report back, Got the device with no duty or any other fee.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Custom duty fee of minidsp SHD to US? 18 hours 10 minutes ago #51380

  • 34thstreet
  • 34thstreet's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 5
  • Thank you received: 1
  • Karma: 0
A $105 duty fee for an $850 order is something MiniDSP owes its customers a heads up about. DHL says it goes back in 5 days if I don't pay it. It's going back and I'm getting a refund. Ridiculous.
Last Edit: 18 hours 10 minutes ago by 34thstreet.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Custom duty fee of minidsp SHD to US? 10 hours 35 minutes ago #51386

  • EdHowarth
  • EdHowarth's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Boarder
  • Posts: 46
  • Thank you received: 11
  • Karma: 0
So you're blaming a Hong Kong company for America's tax policies?
As you say, "Ridiculous."
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Custom duty fee of minidsp SHD to US? 7 hours 48 minutes ago #51389

  • 34thstreet
  • 34thstreet's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 5
  • Thank you received: 1
  • Karma: 0
EdHowarth wrote:
So you're blaming a Hong Kong company for America's tax policies?
As you say, "Ridiculous."

Good grief. I am not blaming miniDSP for the existence of import duty. I am just suggesting that the company could be more clear about in the ordering process. I missed the disclaimer when I ordered and I have to imagine that others have too. An unanticipated $100+ cost may be inconsequential to you guys, but it isn't for everyone. DHL offers an API to calculate duty charges (developer.dhl.com/api-reference/duty-and...ted-section/overview). That would allow customers to get an estimate of duty during the ordering process just as they do for shipping. If for some reason that's not possible to implement, miniDSP could add an unmissable pop-up to the effect of "You are ordering a product from Hong Kong that will likely be subject to import duty. Depending on your country, you may be charged nothing or duty could be in excess of 10% of your total cost. MiniDSP is not responsible for paying the cost of duty". I don't think either of these suggestions are ridiculous.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: devteam