Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Main forum for support questions you may have for the community. Post your issues and we'll all try to help resolve them.

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: MiniDSP between pre-out and main-in

MiniDSP between pre-out and main-in 1 week 3 days ago #47320

• sebbesen
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,

I’m currently connecting my DDRC-24 directly to the main-in on my integrated amp in this way bypassing the pre-amp. However, I rely on the software volume control of the miniDSP which can only be adjusted via remote control and I have no visual feedback of the volume level. On the other hand, I have a very short signal path as I run my digital source directly into the miniDSP.

Alternatively, I could connect the miniDSP between the pre-out and main-in. In this way, I can use the volume knob on my integrated amp. However, I would still need a D/A converter between my source and the pre-amp, and I add another A/D and D/A conversion in the miniDSP.

I am just wondering if that extra A/D - D/A conversion does any noticeable harm to the signal. Perhaps someone has experience with this.

Thanks!

/s
The administrator has disabled public write access.

MiniDSP between pre-out and main-in 1 week 3 days ago #47321

• flaviowolff
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Theoretically, it does "harm" the signal, but I really doubt it would be audible in a real life scenario. Convenience is by far more important than any theoretical loss, IMO. AudioScienceReview has some measurements of the 2x4HD (not sure if that is your minidsp), and altough the analog in measures worse than the USB/Toslink input, there are no visible concerns in the audible range IIRC.

I suggest that you avoid obsessiveness and perfectionism in order to enjoy your system. Simply compare both scenarios by ear or even by REW measurements and check if there are any impacts.
Last Edit: 1 week 3 days ago by flaviowolff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sebbesen

MiniDSP between pre-out and main-in 1 week 3 days ago #47324

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 55
Just try it and see what you think.

I used a 2x4 HD as a DAC//Pre for about a year and agree the lack of a volume indication, or indeed source or pre-set, is a real limitation. I now have an SHD and a major reason for the switch was the addition of a screen displaying this info, albeit fir A LOT more money. The user experience is MUCH better as a result though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sebbesen
Moderators: devteam