Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Main forum for support questions you may have for the community. Post your issues and we'll all try to help resolve them.

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: miniDSP_V1 changes sound quality - for the worse!

miniDSP_V1 changes sound quality - for the worse! 1 week 16 hours ago #46666

• jjasniew
  • Fresh Boarder
I have a simple bi-amp requirement, 100 Hz 24db L-R with a reverse rising response for the assist woofer mounted on an OB. A snap to implement using the software plug-in I purchased.

The high pass section is problematic regarding sound quality. I'm 63 and can clearly hear the difference running the high pass amp direct, versus running the signal through the miniDSP 100Hz high pass filter. No problem with the filter functionality, just how it sounds doesnt compare favorably with a wire... My audio signal source is a Aune T1 - V1.

I've tried reducing the input sensitivity (via jumpers) and even replacing the I/O coupling caps with film types. Still - I cant use the high pass section as it definitely puts a shroud over the focus of instruments in the soundstage. (One of my favorite things to listen for, given what I can still hear at my age)

I could put analog filters into the high pass amp to relieve the FR driver from responding to the lowest lows, but that's not what I was expecting. I can just run it full range and it works fine this way - but was hoping to take advantage of the 100 Hz bass relief!

Is it possible to fix this perception by skipping past the A/D section and (somehow) getting from USB to I2S and using the miniDSP - V1 - as a 4 channel DAC?

Is it possible to go USB to I2S and then I2S to a 4 output DAC - or two stereo DACs - of a different D/A converter design?

[TL/DR] The sound quality through the miniDSP -V1- doesnt match my Aune T1 - V1 , when directly connected to the amplifier. What, if anything, can I do about it?

Thanks!
Last Edit: 1 week 15 hours ago by jjasniew.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

miniDSP_V1 changes sound quality - for the worse! 1 week 15 hours ago #46667

• Ultrasonic
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 32
Which miniDSP product is it that you own? A 2x4 perhaps?

miniDSP_V1 changes sound quality - for the worse! 1 week 10 hours ago #46670

• jjasniew
  • Fresh Boarder
Yes! It's a 2X4. I forgot to mention I did provide it with an analog iron transformer based DC supply, removing the USB cable (and ground loop around through the Aune T1 back to the PC) for my listening, versus programming the unit.

FWIW I'm not listening to any fancy new resolutions, just ordinary 44.1 FLAC recordings ripped from ordinary CDs.

miniDSP_V1 changes sound quality - for the worse! 1 week 9 hours ago #46671

• Ultrasonic
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 32
I think realistically you're just experiencing the limitations of not just the internal DAC but also the DSP chip, which you obviously can't bypass if you want it to apply a high pass filter.

Not the answer you want to hear I know but I would buy a 2x4 HD instead. (An SHD would be even better but there's a huge gulf on price between the two.)

miniDSP_V1 changes sound quality - for the worse! 1 week 9 hours ago #46672

• dreite
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 640
Assuming the unit is not malfunctioning and/or you're not signal clipping within, then I'd say it's working okay.
If you don't like the sound of it......time to move on.

Dave.
Moderators: devteam