Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Main forum for support questions you may have for the community. Post your issues and we'll all try to help resolve them.

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: High pass before or after running Dirac?

High pass before or after running Dirac? 1 week 2 days ago #46613

• flaviowolff
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Quickie noob question: when applying a HPF to keep ultra low frequencies off, is it better to run Dirac Live afterwards the filter, or to apply the filter after Dirac?
Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

High pass before or after running Dirac? 1 week 2 days ago #46617

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1544
I'm not sure there's a correct answer but I'd be inclined to apply the filter and run the calibration with the filter on . And make sure to set your lower curtain so as to not boost below the cutoff.
I am not miniDSP support.

"You must ask the right questions." - Dr. Alfred Lanning's hologram.
-> Have you read the User Manual??
-> Have you drawn and posted a diagram?
-> Have you posted a screenshot?
-> Have you posted your config file?

High pass before or after running Dirac? 1 week 1 day ago #46624

• Ultrasonic
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 32
What is the setup here? If it's a stereo system with a subwoofer or two then you want to apply the crossovers, sort time alignment and then run Dirac.

High pass before or after running Dirac? 1 week 5 hours ago #46673

• flaviowolff
  • Junior Boarder
Ultrasonic wrote:
What is the setup here? If it's a stereo system with a subwoofer or two then you want to apply the crossovers, sort time alignment and then run Dirac.

It’s a simple 2.0 system with totem rainmakers and a power amp direct on the minidsp

When Dirac prompts the filters, there is a steep curve on the target curve that looks like a high pass, on the lower frequencies, and a low pass on the higher (the lowest and highest measured). Could it be that Dirac already protects your system by reducing gain on the extremes?

High pass before or after running Dirac? 1 week 5 hours ago #46674

• flaviowolff
  • Junior Boarder
Ultrasonic wrote:

It’s a simple 2.0 system with totem rainmakers and a power amp direct on the minidsp

When Dirac prompts the filters, there are steep gain reductions on the target curve looking like a high pass, on the lower frequencies, and and low pass on the highest, right after both curtains. Could it be that Dirac already protects your system by reducing gain, making the high pass unnecessary?

High pass before or after running Dirac? 1 week 5 hours ago #46675

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1544
You will be seeing the measured response of the speaker above and below the curtain. Could you post a screenshot (measured response and target curve)?
I am not miniDSP support.

"You must ask the right questions." - Dr. Alfred Lanning's hologram.
-> Have you read the User Manual??
-> Have you drawn and posted a diagram?
-> Have you posted a screenshot?
-> Have you posted your config file?

High pass before or after running Dirac? 1 week 21 minutes ago #46678

• Ultrasonic
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 32
flaviowolff wrote:
Could it be that Dirac already protects your system by reducing gain, making the high pass unnecessary?
No. What you're seeing is that Dirac will only apply boosts up to a maximum amount (10 dB I believe) and when even this won't get the level to anywhere near the target curve it won't do anything. I don't believe it will be applying additional attenuation at the low frequency end though, which I believe is what you're trying to achieve.

I'm curious why you feel the need to apply this filter? Is it that you have a turntable but your phono-stage dosn't include it's own anti-rumble filter?

It would be interesting to see the graphs as John has asked for. What are the details of the filter you are applying? As in cutoff freqeuency and type (e.g. 15 Hz and LR 48 dB/oct)?

I think properly setup the answer to your original question should be that you apply the filter and then run Dirac, making sure that the low frequency limit that Dirac is applied to* is above the frequency range affected by the filter.

*As set by where you drag the left vertical limit line.
Last Edit: 1 week 9 minutes ago by Ultrasonic.
Moderators: devteam