Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Main forum for support questions you may have for the community. Post your issues and we'll all try to help resolve them.

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: Connection Problem When Trying to Use Two DSPs

Connection Problem When Trying to Use Two DSPs 1 week 3 days ago #45264

• pgraham
  • Fresh Boarder
I am using a 4x10HD with a 2x8 plug-in and a 2X4 with a Rear/Center plug-in. The computer is a MacMini.

Either one will connect and synch as expected and each works just fine, so there is no basic issue of there being a defect of any kind.

The problem is that if one is connected and synched, the other refuses to connect, giving the instruction to check the USB connection.

I don't see anything in any of product information that enlightens me about this. Can I not use both of these applications simultaneously?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Connection Problem When Trying to Use Two DSPs 1 week 2 days ago #45270

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1527
No, it won't work. Something to do with there only being one USB driver, a forum search might turn up a post from devteam.
I am not miniDSP support.

"You must ask the right questions." - Dr. Alfred Lanning's hologram.
-> Have you read the User Manual??
-> Have you drawn and posted a diagram?
-> Have you posted a screenshot?
-> Have you posted your config file?

Connection Problem When Trying to Use Two DSPs 1 week 2 days ago #45278

• pgraham
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the response John.

Well this is unfortunate. Where is the warning that two products of one maker are incompatible? I would not have purchased the 2X4 had I known. This is now worthless to me unless there is some kind of software/firmware fix for it.

The Center/Rear effect was everything I had hoped for. I like it. But the 2x8 plug-in is essential to the system structure, so I have no choice.

Connection Problem When Trying to Use Two DSPs 1 week 2 days ago #45280

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Boarder
Um, no offence but that doesn't make a lot of sense, you can still configure both products, just not both at the same time on the same computer.

Connection Problem When Trying to Use Two DSPs 1 week 2 days ago #45286

• pgraham
  • Fresh Boarder
No offense taken! My confusion arises from conflating the ability to "store" two programs with the ability to "run" two programs. I assumed both devices could be on-line and I could toggle between them simply by clicking on the app.

I think what you are saying is that I can configure one, then take it off-line, then configure the other. Both devices are in the audio system and functioning as configured. Both configurations can be stored as separate files on the same computer, but I just can't have live interface on both open at the same time. They can't be on-line simultaneously with one computer only. Have I got this right?

Now, to take a processor off-line, I have to physically disconnect the USB plug from the computer. In practical terms, only one processor will actually be plugged into the Mac at any one time. Pretty tedious if you would like to make frequent adjustments, as there is no simple toggle operation. But, if I do it this way, it will work as I want it to? Once I have settled on the Rear/Center configuration, I could be content to have live interface full-time with just the 2x8. That's where the main front parametric EQ is.

Please let me know if I am now on the right track.

Connection Problem When Trying to Use Two DSPs 1 week 2 days ago #45287

• pgraham
  • Fresh Boarder
And this is why a DC supply jack is provided on the 2X4. It's got to have operating power so it can function off-line. The fog is lifting!

Connection Problem When Trying to Use Two DSPs 1 week 1 day ago #45295

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Boarder
Ah, I had forgotten that the 2x4 could be USB-powered.
pgraham wrote:
Both configurations can be stored as separate files on the same computer, but I just can't have live interface on both open at the same time. They can't be on-line simultaneously with one computer only. Have I got this right?

Yes.

There might be a workaround using a VM although I haven't specifically tried it.

Connection Problem When Trying to Use Two DSPs 1 week 1 day ago #45298

• pgraham
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the comments John. I think I know how to proceed.
Moderators: devteam