Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Main forum for support questions you may have for the community. Post your issues and we'll all try to help resolve them.

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: Which Mini DSP for Primarily just Hifi EQ

Which Mini DSP for Primarily just Hifi EQ 1 year 2 weeks ago #44890

Hello - Im looking at the Mini DSP for a stand alone EQ for my Hifi System , mostly to EQ old LPs...Im curious which Mini DSP is best connection for my set up where I won't lose quality....and also where int he chain?

VPI Turntable
MacBook Pro 2012 for streaming
Lyngdorf 2170 Amp - inputs : (High End RCA/XLR/HDMI/Digital )
Allnic H1201 Phono Stage

Also is the graphic EQ/ Parametric EQ app included with purchase or a plug in you have to buy?

Thanks!
Last Edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by tommypenngotti.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Which Mini DSP for Primarily just Hifi EQ 1 year 1 week ago #44942

• David60
  • Fresh Boarder
I thought the Lyngdorf already including DSP in its hardware/software functionality. The miniDSP can do EQ for you with a 10 USD plug-in. You will have to add the device into your audio chain between source and amplifier and accept all the extra signal conversions it will do, but is indeed possible.

Which Mini DSP for Primarily just Hifi EQ 1 year 1 week ago #44947

Lyngdorf 2170 has room correction & a bunch of fairly useless "presets" . You can't adjust anything....

Picked up the MiniDSP HD , pretty cool so far....It definitely has enough features for users to go overboard or even not know that a filter or Cross Over is engaged & completely ruin sound....not for the casual listener looking for some old school graphic EQ.. :silly:

BTW - they have discontinued the graphic EQ shown on the MiniDSP website...parametric is way more extensive though...thanks
Last Edit: 1 year 1 week ago by tommypenngotti.

Which Mini DSP for Primarily just Hifi EQ 1 year 1 week ago #45051

I continue to be happy with the MiniDSP 2x4HD. I remain surprised at the quality and usability of the unit. For $200, it's is indeed a "steal" the DAC was on par with my AudioQuest Dragonfly (and old very modified Anthem CD player).

The parametric EQ and measurement REW software using UMIK was a relatively inexpensive learning experience.

However, within the past 2 weeks I have finally started measuring and setup with the 4x10 HD. THIS is a piece of hifi gear! Palpable sound - almost like I installed a Cary 300B amplfier in my system - yikes ! I really didn't think this would happen, but the $500 4x10HD is the real deal !

I suppose the sound quality difference using a shared reference might be:

2x4HD = Grado Black Phono Cartridge
4x10HD = Better than Ortofon Blue Phono Cartridge

I am totally happy that I purchased the 2x4 HD. It was so inexpensive, and a terrific learning experience, but the 4x10HD just sounds amazing!

Which Mini DSP for Primarily just Hifi EQ 1 year 6 days ago #45093

Thanks Dave !
Last Edit: 1 year 6 days ago by tommypenngotti.

Which Mini DSP for Primarily just Hifi EQ 1 year 6 days ago #45094

The MiniDSP 2x4 HD . Its definitely cool if used mildy...any over boosting on the DB level or Parametric & turns into an ugly distorted mess.

How can this little $200 box with RCAs not degrade the Audiophile system? hmmmm

Also picked up the WI -DG Wifi Bridge so I can EQ from my chair with laptop...a bit of a hassle setting up, but Im going to test tonight .

Should I crossover my SVS PB1000 Sub if it already has a X-over in it...? Have it set at 40Hz currently . I have Tekton Encore very large towers that put out a ton.

Which Mini DSP for Primarily just Hifi EQ 1 year 6 days ago #45098

"The MiniDSP 2x4 HD . Its definitely cool if used mildy...any over boosting on the DB level or Parametric & turns into an ugly distorted mess."

I believe you are correct.

I haven't measured this phenomena, but in the beginning of my experimentation with MiniDSP I did experiment with some positive swings on the Parametric EQ. On a couple occasions I experienced audible distortion and some... digital clipping ? I have changed my approach following these experiences.

I am now completely negative. All of my parametric EQ adjustments reduce the spl. I feel safe this way, and I haven't experienced any audible distortion or digital clipping. This is one area of my life where being negative really is best - I think.

There is probably a super smart way to analyze the peak voltages to discern the actual source of the clipping / distortion. Anyone have insight in this regard ?

Which Mini DSP for Primarily just Hifi EQ 1 year 6 days ago #45099

yes , in my music career I have always found that cutting vs boosting EQ more effective ...

I am just using the MiniDSP to boost some high end crispness for the occasional LP that is more flat...

Which Mini DSP for Primarily just Hifi EQ 1 year 5 days ago #45106

Tommy,

Since you appear to be a Vinyl / LP guy, I have a question.

Are there some elements on vinyl that almost completely disappear on digital (streaming or cd)?

I sold my vinyl rig about a year ago because I found it tedious. I was using a Technics 1200 with Ortofon Blue, and a cork mat. I tried a few different tube and SS preamps and was extremely happy with the vista phono preamp.

Mostly, I find the sound quality about the same, or perhaps better on CD, but sometimes there are elements almost completely missing on the digital track.

Specifically, there is an excellent Al Hirt recording on the album Sugar Lips titled Night Life. There is a background vocal on digital that is almost completely gone.

Also, Julie London and Al Hirt on Dynagroove are excellent recordings - IMO.

Thanks for reading,

Which Mini DSP for Primarily just Hifi EQ 1 year 5 days ago #45110

that is a long & sorted query my friend...

Vinyl rules. Digital is great too. If I had 2 killer systems back to back & changing between songs instantly I think I could give you a better synopsis. With that said , I will say that there are certain pressings / remasters that have completely raised the bar and blown me away . Yes : Fragile remaster by Kevin Gray (unbelievably killer) ...with that said...the new Tool album Fear Innoculum on HD tracks 96/24 is probably the best sonically pleasing thing I've heard possibly ever ....right alongside the Yes remaster in a different realm.

Sonic Pursuit is an endless siege. I hope to one day be satisfied...that's why I'm here looking at the MiniDSP. My sound engineer buddy in LA always scoffs at my attempts ...."No EQ on anything EVER!!!" Good sound is in the ear of the beholder...I like what I like and I hope you do too...
Last Edit: 1 year 5 days ago by tommypenngotti.

Which Mini DSP for Primarily just Hifi EQ 1 year 4 days ago #45163

I hope to one day be satisfied...that's why I'm here looking at the MiniDSP.

:laugh: You are too funny !

I really appreciate you responding and adding a couple recordings that I really need to enjoy!

I suppose am happy in stages. I remain happy for maybe 1-3 years after any significant change in hardware, then.... some other change seems appealing. There are so many experiments to accomplish and so little time.

Most recently I have discovered the fully straight transmission line behind midwoofers. The impact on the bass is simply "different" than other approaches. The impact of the straight transmission on the midrange is shocking! The non- tapered line carries significant midrange noise away from the driver and the midrange is profoundly cleaner.

Most discussion on cabinet types seem to revolve around the sound of the bass from a sealed, ported, horn, or transmission line. I was surprised to hear such an impact in the midrange.

Sorry... getting off topic....

Thanks again for your reply!

Which Mini DSP for Primarily just Hifi EQ 1 year 4 days ago #45166

nice...

I suppose the argument could be made buy a great amp / great speakers and you won't need anything else...hmmm....

thanks
Moderators: devteam