Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Main forum for support questions you may have for the community. Post your issues and we'll all try to help resolve them.

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: confused about connections

confused about connections 1 week 1 day ago #44409

• mieswall
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi, and sorry for this basic question: I'm a bit confused about how/which Dirac-enabled product to buy.

I want to add Dirac DSP to my system, ideally using your DDRC-24. I have an integrated amplifier and a powered SW; sources are a Mac mini (Tidal, jriver, ethernet connection to internet router); CD player with digital out; a fairly good DAC (Emotiva Stealth, that I may dispose in case the miniDSP opted provides a better one) and a turntable with mc & phono preamp. I'm currently using the SW with high level inputs, although I understand I should use the rca connections directly from the DDRC-24 for proper setup of the room EQ.
So, I am wondering, how do I control the master volume when listening music, since both devices would have their own volume (the sub, the integrated amp), in order for the EQ to work properly? Should I set a permanent, fixed volume in my amp and in the SW when doing the initial Dirac setup, and never change those volume settings again?
Or, would you advice using another miniDSP product instead, like the more expensive miniDSP SHD, that would perform as a full featured pre-amplifier?
Last Edit: 1 week 1 day ago by mieswall.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

confused about connections 1 week 23 hours ago #44417

• Wanderer
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 32
Hello mieswall.

mieswall wrote:
I understand I should use the rca connections directly from the DDRC-24 for proper setup of the room EQ.
This is true only if you want to implement the crossover on miniDSP. Dirac filters are applied to two discrete channels, i.e. there is no separate correction for the sub(s). Therefore, for Dirac room correction there is no difference whether your sub is connected directly to DDRC-24, or to the AVR / amp with its own crossover: in both cases, the calibration tool will measure and correct combined L+SW and R+SW responses.

Unless you would like to manually optimize crossover settings using miniDSP before taking measurements for automatic correction, the best gain structure for you will be to keep current connections and control the volume on the amplifier. Otherwise, DDRC-24 can act as a preamp too, since volume up/down buttons are available on the IR remote.

Hope this helps!
Last Edit: 1 week 22 hours ago by Wanderer.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mieswall
Moderators: devteam