Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Main forum for support questions you may have for the community. Post your issues and we'll all try to help resolve them.

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: miniDSP SHD straight out to active monitors

miniDSP SHD straight out to active monitors 1 week 4 days ago #44378

Hello, everyone. New guy here, about to make the move from flea-watt SET amps, single driver speakers and external DACs to an SHD and active monitors. I'm under the impression I can do this without any need for amplification between the SHD and monitors, as they're (of course) powered by their own internal amps. I've searched and searched, but don't see anyone else doing this; I keep reading/seeing SHD >> amp(s) >> speakers - this includes the diagrams and wording in the manual. Is SHD >> active monitors via XLR not possible for some reason?

Thanks so much for your time!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

miniDSP SHD straight out to active monitors 1 week 4 days ago #44379

• dreite
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 630
SHD >> active monitors is a configuration many of us operate our units in.
The SHD Studio unit only has digital outputs, but if your active monitors have digital inputs that would be doable as well.

Dave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mickthekraken

miniDSP SHD straight out to active monitors 1 week 4 days ago #44380

Fantastic to hear that confirmed; I couldn't imagine how it wouldn't be an option.

Thanks a lot, Dave!

miniDSP SHD straight out to active monitors 1 week 4 days ago #44383

So, I'm thinking of the SHD out to either Neumann KH 120's or Genelec 8030's (likely filling in the bass with a sub, in time). In a 10' x 20' listening area, open on either side, I'm hoping Dirac will be able to dial things in quite nicely...but am I'm fooling myself to think that these smaller monitors are going to be sufficient for such a space? We currently have 8" single drivers (98dB) in a tower/low-rear port config powered by a 3 watt 2A3 SET. We listen at lower/mid levels, rockin' it out every once in a while (including movies).

Also, we've used Squeezebox/Logitech Media Server (LMS) for a decade or so now. Other than some quirks with Tidal, it been easy to command the Touch and Classic with iPeng...however, my whole point with the SHD would be to eliminate all these extra items (DACs included, of course). This may be a topic to be posted elsewhere - and I've read through the manual some - but what would be the easiest route to start serving up my existing library/database as well as use the Internet radio and Tidal-like subscription? Can Volumio be finagled to accommodate my needs?

Thanks again!
Moderators: devteam