Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
A general forum where you can ask all the basic questions about a miniDSP kit, how to integrate it in your system and make use of this revolutionary low cost DSP board.

NOTE: This forum is community powered. Please be mindful that long time community members are here to help as part of a community effort. If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure), please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us). Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community. :-)

TOPIC: SHD suitable for big latency?

SHD suitable for big latency? 1 week 1 day ago #43931

• ckolivas
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm looking to use digital in/out crossed over to my main speakers so I can use an external DAC that I have, whilst using analogue out for my subwoofer. The issue I have currently is the external DAC adds up to 500ms latency (due to upsampling), usually 250ms latency for higher res 88/96 material. Can the SHD cope add that much latency to 2 of its channels?

Additionally, can it operate at both 88 and 96 sample rates internally or is everything converted to 96?

Another standalone device I've tried previously had trouble recognising the output from the main speakers as the frequencies it was outputting during a measurement sweep due to the massive extra latency added by the other DAC in the path.
Last Edit: 1 week 1 day ago by ckolivas.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

SHD suitable for big latency? 1 week 1 day ago #43932

• dreite
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 621
ckolivas wrote:
Can the SHD cope add that much latency to 2 of its channels?
Additionally, can it operate at both 88 and 96 sample rates internally or is everything converted to 96?
1. Not even close. The SHD can add 30mS maximum delay to the outputs.
2. 96khz only.

That's quite a DAC you have there. A half second latency is crazy. What brand/model is it?

Dave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ckolivas

SHD suitable for big latency? 1 week 1 day ago #43933

• ckolivas
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks, that's exactly what I needed. I had a feeling someone would ask that question. :P

It's an MSB Reference DAC.
www.msbtechnology.com/dacs/reference-features/

As I said, the latency depends on what the starting sample rate is. The more upsampling, the greater the latency.

SHD suitable for big latency? 1 week 1 day ago #43942

• fheibrink
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
That's a 40-60 K dac, my goodness :oops:

SHD suitable for big latency? 1 week 1 day ago #43944

• ckolivas
  • Fresh Boarder
Someone out there has to be crazy enough to be buying this stuff. However, not everyone is a complete purist and some of us recognise the value of room and/or speaker correction whilst still in the digital domain.

SHD suitable for big latency? 1 week 1 day ago #43946

• fheibrink
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
ckolivas wrote:
Someone out there has to be crazy enough to be buying this stuff. However, not everyone is a complete purist and some of us recognise the value of room and/or speaker correction whilst still in the digital domain.

Well. I'm quite a purist, but I also do value the room correction, but I don't have that kind of money for such DAC's :laugh: . I really like that stuff, don't get me wrong.
I started as a purist, but after I found out what a DSP can manage my mindset changed quite a bit.
Last Edit: 1 week 1 day ago by fheibrink.

SHD suitable for big latency? 1 week 23 hours ago #43949

• dreite
  • Platinum Boarder
ckolivas wrote:
Thanks, that's exactly what I needed. I had a feeling someone would ask that question. :P

It's an MSB Reference DAC.
www.msbtechnology.com/dacs/reference-features/

As I said, the latency depends on what the starting sample rate is. The more upsampling, the greater the latency.
My goodness.

Regardless, that amount of latency shouldn't be an issue anyway, unless you're having lip-sync problems with concurrent video.
I understand your intention would be separate paths and in that case the relative latency difference would definitely be a factor, but that's a configuration that doesn't make any sense, in my opinion.

If using an SHD unit, I think your MSB unit would become irrelevant and you could shelve it. (Probably not what you want to hear.) :)

Dave.

SHD suitable for big latency? 1 week 17 hours ago #43961

• ckolivas
  • Fresh Boarder
dreite wrote:
Regardless, that amount of latency shouldn't be an issue anyway, unless you're having lip-sync problems with concurrent video.
I understand your intention would be separate paths and in that case the relative latency difference would definitely be a factor, but that's a configuration that doesn't make any sense, in my opinion.

If using an SHD unit, I think your MSB unit would become irrelevant and you could shelve it. (Probably not what you want to hear.) :)
Well I don't really want to debate the point but I'll explain anyway since you seem to be taking issue with things that have nothing to do with my use case. I don't care about lip sync problems, I don't care about absolute latency, and I don't think that DSP affects the final quality of the digital to analogue conversion. The whole point of it is to cross over the main speakers so they're not doing the lowest frequencies unnecessarily so they work better whilst allowing them to benefit from the use of the external DAC. But thanks, you already answered the question with your first response.

Now to figure out if I can lock the thread to stop getting answers.
Last Edit: 1 week 17 hours ago by ckolivas.

SHD suitable for big latency? 1 week 12 hours ago #43963

• dreite
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm not attempting to debate the point.

The problem with having really expensive pieces of gear is that your audiophile ego won't let you not use them....even .when something much cheaper/better becomes an alternative.
This is not an unusual situation for audiophiles to find themselves in.

Regardless, my original comment is still valid. The large latency of your DAC is a non-issue IF you configure the SHD unit into your system in a deliberate way. You can have your cake and eat it too.

Dave.

SHD suitable for big latency? 1 week 12 hours ago #43964

• ckolivas
  • Fresh Boarder
I've already got a DSPeaker X4 which does exactly that already with the one input, so the SHD wouldn't be offering me anything new. I was looking for something else that could separate the latency. You really didn't need to be derogatory about the audiophile aspect. This is why I wanted the thread locked before someone started patronising me.
Last Edit: 1 week 12 hours ago by ckolivas.

SHD suitable for big latency? 6 days 11 hours ago #43986

• dreite
  • Platinum Boarder
The delay capabilities are included in these units so you can correct (relative) physical distance offsets between drivers in a speaker system.
They're not the there to correct huge delays because of differing electronic signal paths in your system configuration.
500mS equates to a huge physical distance.

Dave.
Last Edit: 6 days 11 hours ago by dreite.

SHD suitable for big latency? 6 days 11 hours ago #43987

• ckolivas
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks. I actually found that the OpenDRC-DA8 can be configured for latencies of up to 3000ms. So whilst I cannot perform the digital room correction I require with that device (since it doesn't have digital out), I can actually use it to delay the subwoofer output which does not need critical DA conversion, so there is a device I can use.

SHD suitable for big latency? 6 days 35 minutes ago #43989

• dreite
  • Platinum Boarder
Your whole approach is wrong-headed and opposite of the way I'd do it.
But, good luck with it.

Dave.

SHD suitable for big latency? 5 days 17 hours ago #43993

• ckolivas
  • Fresh Boarder
"Wrong-headed". There you go again, you just can't help yourself can you?
I've unsubscribed from results from my own thread now against my own standards. Feel free to take as many cheap shots as you like now.
Last Edit: 5 days 17 hours ago by ckolivas.

SHD suitable for big latency? 5 days 16 hours ago #43994

• dreite
  • Platinum Boarder
I call 'em as I see 'em. 'Always have and always will.
I hate to see people spending large amounts of money on audio equipment when there's no reason for it.

The fact that you're interested in the SHD unit is a good sign, but you have to be able to embrace its capabilities and set aside outdated thinking.

Your choice though, obviously.

Dave.
Moderators: devteam