Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Main forum for support questions you may have for the community. Post your issues and we'll all try to help resolve them.

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: Changing the volume on the minidsp or amp?

Changing the volume on the minidsp or amp? 3 months 1 week ago #42944

Hi,

I just got the SHD Studio streamer, it feeds my Hegel dac/amp via spdif. Should I use the minidsp at 0 db and adjust the volume on my amp or the opposite: set the volume lower on the dsp processor and use the amp at full power?

Thomas
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Changing the volume on the minidsp or amp? 3 months 1 week ago #42955

• Mike-48
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
It is impossible to say a priori which of two volume controls will add the fewest (and least objectionable) sonic artifacts. Unfortunately, the only way to know, in my opinion, is to try it and see.

Changing the volume on the minidsp or amp? 3 months 1 week ago #42980

• jaaptina
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Also got a SHD Studio. My thinking is the integrated amp is made to control the volume. That's the usual setup. The amp expects the full volume at the spdif input.

To control the volume of the spdif output is of the SHD Studio unusual.

So I don't understand the volume knob on the SHD Studio. Maybe it's a left over from the SHD with analog output.

If anyone knows otherwise I would like to know. Because it would be nice to use the SHD Studio with only a dac (without pre-amp) and a power amp.
Last Edit: 3 months 6 days ago by jaaptina.

Changing the volume on the minidsp or amp? 2 months 1 week ago #43187

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1052
Dear All

We're not 100% how your DAC is implementing their volume control but only few DACS actually do it in the analog domain...
For that reason, I think that you're maybe looking at the wrong issue knowing we're doing volume with dithering on 32bit and maybe doing it better for that reason than a simple level control from some dacs.. ;-)

What you do want is to correctly set your gain structure (i.e. amplifier volume control) such that your typical listening level isn't at -60% of the SHD studio let's say.. That's most important, may it be for an SHD studio or "any" audio equipment.. That's gain structure.
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.

Changing the volume on the minidsp or amp? 2 months 1 week ago #43191

• Juoigâ
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19

Changing the volume on the minidsp or amp? 2 months 1 week ago #43202

• jaaptina
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
The gain structure document seems to describe a DSP with analog output (measured in mV) where the dac is passing an analog signal to the dsp (source>dac>dsp>amp).
The Minidsp SHD Studio has digital outputs only and will pass a digital signal to a dac (source>dsp>dac>amp). Digital outputs are not measured in mV. Instead the volume level digitally encoded in the bitstream is changed (I think).
If the volume of the spdif digital output is set to low listening level will the dac receive a digital signal with it's full sound quality ?
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by jaaptina.
Moderators: devteam