Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
A general forum where you can ask all the basic questions about a miniDSP kit, how to integrate it in your system and make use of this revolutionary low cost DSP board.

NOTE: This forum is community powered. Please be mindful that long time community members are here to help as part of a community effort. If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure), please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us). Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community. :-)

TOPIC: Changing the volume on the minidsp or amp?

Changing the volume on the minidsp or amp? 1 week 5 days ago #42944

Hi,

I just got the SHD Studio streamer, it feeds my Hegel dac/amp via spdif. Should I use the minidsp at 0 db and adjust the volume on my amp or the opposite: set the volume lower on the dsp processor and use the amp at full power?

Thomas
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Changing the volume on the minidsp or amp? 1 week 4 days ago #42955

• Mike-48
  • Fresh Boarder
It is impossible to say a priori which of two volume controls will add the fewest (and least objectionable) sonic artifacts. Unfortunately, the only way to know, in my opinion, is to try it and see.

Changing the volume on the minidsp or amp? 1 week 1 day ago #42980

• jaaptina
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Also got a SHD Studio. My thinking is the integrated amp is made to control the volume. That's the usual setup. The amp expects the full volume at the spdif input.

To control the volume of the spdif output is of the SHD Studio unusual.

So I don't understand the volume knob on the SHD Studio. Maybe it's a left over from the SHD with analog output.

If anyone knows otherwise I would like to know. Because it would be nice to use the SHD Studio with only a dac (without pre-amp) and a power amp.
Last Edit: 1 week 1 hour ago by jaaptina.
Moderators: devteam