Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
A general forum where you can ask all the basic questions about a miniDSP kit, how to integrate it in your system and make use of this revolutionary low cost DSP board.

NOTE: This forum is community powered. Please be mindful that long time community members are here to help as part of a community effort. If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure), please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us). Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community. :-)

TOPIC: MiniDSP as volume control

MiniDSP as volume control 1 week 6 days ago #41727

• bumpy
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I use a MiniDSP to shape the bass output in my open baffle speakers. I am thinking of buying a 1000watt ICE amplifier, but it is a power amp only, obviously without volume control.

With this much power on tap is it safe to use the miniDSP as volume control, or are there possibilities that under certain circumstances it can turn on at full volume. This would send my £1000 bass drivers across the room :)
Last Edit: 1 week 6 days ago by bumpy. Reason: additional info
The administrator has disabled public write access.

MiniDSP as volume control 1 week 3 days ago #41777

• rybu
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
I keep my miniDSP on and plugged into my amp 24/7, for I think about three years straight now. The only times its been off is for power outages, and some resets during firmware upgrades.

**so far** I have not seen any accidental volume increases or power spikes.

I believe once after a firmware upgrade the output levels were all set to zero.

Not certain I'd trust expensive hardware to an anecdote like this, but yes, it might very well be safe. I use my miniDSP for volume control, but at max volume the speakers aren't terribly loud, with my setup.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bumpy

MiniDSP as volume control 1 week 3 days ago #41785

• bumpy
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
rybu wrote:
I keep my miniDSP on and plugged into my amp 24/7, for I think about three years straight now. The only times its been off is for power outages, and some resets during firmware upgrades.

**so far** I have not seen any accidental volume increases or power spikes.

I believe once after a firmware upgrade the output levels were all set to zero.

Not certain I'd trust expensive hardware to an anecdote like this, but yes, it might very well be safe. I use my miniDSP for volume control, but at max volume the speakers aren't terribly loud, with my setup.

Thanks. It would be an expensive thing to happen, so I guess I will use a mechanical volume control in the set up, and sleep at nights :)
Moderators: devteam