Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
A general forum where you can ask all the basic questions about a miniDSP kit, how to integrate it in your system and make use of this revolutionary low cost DSP board.

NOTE: This forum is community powered. Please be mindful that long time community members are here to help as part of a community effort. If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure), please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us). Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community. :-)

TOPIC: Tuning multiple subwoofers with miniDSP

Tuning multiple subwoofers with miniDSP 2 months 1 week ago #41331

• nwf477
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Want to try again. For my room I need to use Method B since moving the subs and furniture around is not an option. To make sure I understand please correct and help? First I pick which sub I want to use as sub1 ( I have 3 sets, 1 is a dual opposed w/ 18" 's in one corner in another corner ( share the same wall ) 2 18" in 7cuft sealed stacked on top I also have 4 12"'s in a quad opposed 4 cuft box. All subs are sealed. ) So lets say I start with the Dual Opposed 18"s as sub1 take a measurement at the MLP and save it? Then I go to sub2 take a measurement if its better go to sub3 if not adjust Delay and Gain on sub2??? To set delay you measure the subs to the MLP position subtract the furthest from the shortest using the formula as described in another minidsp tutorial ??? as far as setting the gain please explain. I have set the gain on my amplifiers now I need to reset again?? I know I am missing something and last time I tried it was 7 hours of complete frustration. MY end result was not what I would call even remotely decent then on top of that what if delay and gain has only limited results do I use the PEQ to further adjust?? Needless to say I am lost please help???
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tuning multiple subwoofers with miniDSP 2 months 1 week ago #41335

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1425
You're over-complicating it, just pick one of the tutorials/methods and don't mix them up together. You won't get everything right the first time anyway, take one step at a time and post measurements. You could start by posting measurement of what you have now and what you want to improve.
I am not miniDSP support.

"You must ask the right questions." - Dr. Alfred Lanning's hologram.
-> Have you read the User Manual??
-> Have you drawn and posted a diagram?
-> Have you posted a screenshot?
-> Have you posted your config file?

Tuning multiple subwoofers with miniDSP 2 months 1 week ago #41339

• nwf477
  • Junior Boarder
Yesterday I tried Method B no luck but I did use the mini for all 3 subs instead of using the 2 different DSP's. Since I am far from an expert at this it was trial and error 4 hours worth the results may not be perfect but considering before and after not bad. If I can achieve the same or better with Method B that would be great but as it stands right now at least for me its not too bad. The sweeps are done with just the subs x-over at its highest setting set the gain on all amps using pink noise at 80db ( tweaked it just a tad afterwards )1st image 1262's 2nd image DS4's 3rd HST's ( no eq on the 3 )

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by nwf477.

Tuning multiple subwoofers with miniDSP 2 months 1 week ago #41340

• nwf477
  • Junior Boarder
Here is the REW files I did the DS4 and 1262's first then tried adjusting the HST's with the second DSP gave up then connected them to the mini. The final image is after they were all eq'd and did an average. I was considering running audyssey xt32 just to see if I can get a little better result. The next 3 images are, 1st image DS4's and 1262's with eq. 2nd image HST's with eq. 3rd all 3 averaged
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by nwf477.

Tuning multiple subwoofers with miniDSP 2 months 1 week ago #41341

• nwf477
  • Junior Boarder

Tuning multiple subwoofers with miniDSP 2 months 1 week ago #41345

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1425
Do you have a measurement of all three subs running? (meaning: a single measurement of all three running at the same time)
I am not miniDSP support.

"You must ask the right questions." - Dr. Alfred Lanning's hologram.
-> Have you read the User Manual??
-> Have you drawn and posted a diagram?
-> Have you posted a screenshot?
-> Have you posted your config file?
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by john.reekie.

Tuning multiple subwoofers with miniDSP 2 months 1 week ago #41347

• nwf477
  • Junior Boarder
I will do that tomorrow. I should have taken one and saved it. It seems that at one point I did and it was close to the average but without it its just a guess.

Tuning multiple subwoofers with miniDSP 2 months 1 week ago #41355

• nwf477
  • Junior Boarder
Had a glitch with AVR and had to redo everything but the end result is even better

The other three images in order the 1262, the DS4, and the HST

I gave it my best shot if any suggestions or if it looks good enough great ( really tired of dealing with it. )

Tuning multiple subwoofers with miniDSP 2 months 1 day ago #41413

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 975
@nwf477

Good job to persevering, that's typically how you get good results like the nice graphs you've now got.. :-)
I'm sure that you'll agree that these 3 last graphs look much better than the first 2... ;-)

Both subs having that cancellation at 40Hz is most likely a room mode that you won't be able to EQ out. You can try to move the subs around, but to be honest, you seem to already have some great results here..

How does it sound? :-)

DevTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.

Tuning multiple subwoofers with miniDSP 2 months 1 day ago #41424

• nwf477
  • Junior Boarder
I was trying to use Method B that john reekie suggested, as easy as it seemed getting any sort of decent result was futile. So after going nuts I went back to using the PEQ for each sub and yes it took some time as well but the end result is much better. To further smooth it out I turned the DS4's and the 1262 stack so the sub face directly in the corner.

the red is after I moved the subs the green prior. All I did was just move the subs and measure no eq just 1/6 smoothing this is with all subs Dual Opposed HST18's left corner, the sealed DS4's stacked with the 1262 quad opposed on top right corner. I have seen worse and I have seen better on the AVS forum but at this point I am done with messing with it.

This message has an attachment image.

Last Edit: 2 months 1 day ago by nwf477. Reason: clarify
Moderators: devteam