Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
A general forum where you can ask all the basic questions about a miniDSP kit, how to integrate it in your system and make use of this revolutionary low cost DSP board.

NOTE: This forum is community powered. Please be mindful that long time community members are here to help as part of a community effort. If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure), please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us). Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community. :-)

TOPIC: Help me understand

Help me understand 1 week 6 days ago #41252

• bumpy
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
When one creates a PEQ to boost a particular frequency this needs more energy overall than the previously flat frequency output.

As the mini DSP has no amplification built in, wherever does this extra energy come from?

My guess is that it lowers the energy (volume) a little bit at all other frequencies, the sum of which adds up to the required energy at PEQ.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Help me understand 1 week 6 days ago #41254

• alandbush
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 45
This Thread could be a good place to start.

However, as a quick answer, the MiniDSP has no automatic gain reduction.
If you push the digital volume above 0dbfs, as you might by using a PEQ boost, it will not be reduced.
You may hear clipping.

Generally, the recommendation is to reduce peaks and never boost. If you must boost then keep it within 3dB.
It is also worth noting that applying a boost may not have the desired effect because the dip is unmanageable, I.e. it could be caused by a null at the measuring point which cannot be resolved by adding volume.

You could also learn more about eq on the REW site at avnirvana.com and also the Roon website.
Take your time as there is a lot of information to read and digest.

Help me understand 1 week 6 days ago #41257

• dreite
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 603
bumpy wrote:
As the mini DSP has no amplification built in, wherever does this extra energy come from?

Oh, it certainly does have amplification (ability) built in. If you program a 6db boost at a particular frequency that's exactly what you'll get. (1 volt in 2 volts out.)

Dave.

Help me understand 1 week 6 days ago #41265

• bumpy
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Well that's something I hadn't picked up on. Thanks for explaining :)
Moderators: devteam
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds