Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
A general forum where you can ask all the basic questions about a miniDSP kit, how to integrate it in your system and make use of this revolutionary low cost DSP board.

NOTE: This forum is community powered. Please be mindful that long time community members are here to help as part of a community effort. If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure), please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us). Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community. :-)
  • Page:

TOPIC: Suggestions on what to get?

Suggestions on what to get? 2 weeks 5 days ago #41164

• nwf477
  • Junior Boarder
Currently I have a minidsp 2x4 balanced and yes its okay but I feel I am not getting the most out of it when adjusting the subs. So now I am wondering what would be a better option where I can get a decent response without going nuts trying to figure out where to add subtract adjust gain etc. Funds are limited and want to keep costs down looking for suggestions? As far as set up I have a avr with 2 sub outs sub 1 is connected to a separate dsp for my dual opposed HST18 powered by a 14K amp. On the mini I have on 1 output 2 DS4's connected to an 8K amp and another output. Would like to be able to control all 3 with out spending countless time going back and forth. My Denon has Audyssey, and Xt32 while this may not be perfect just trying to get a little better. Wondering if the Dirac ddrc-24 would work?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Suggestions on what to get? 2 weeks 5 days ago #41179

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1409
I suspect you are making it harder by using two AVR outputs and two DSPs. I would suggest simplifying the setup and proceed as described here: www.minidsp.com/applications/home-theate...tuning-multiple-subs
I am not miniDSP support.

"You must ask the right questions." - Dr. Alfred Lanning's hologram.
-> Have you read the User Manual??
-> Have you drawn and posted a diagram?
-> Have you posted a screenshot?
-> Have you posted your config file?

Suggestions on what to get? 2 weeks 4 days ago #41183

• nwf477
  • Junior Boarder
I might be making this harder then I should so my apologies. Currently my HST 18's are able to play down to 10hz ( not a whole lot of content at that freq. and its not that you can hear that low but it does provide some effects depending on material ). Yes it maybe easier not to worry about maintaining it but it took sometime to get it. Just not sure if the mini 2x4 bal ( I have this one ) is capable of going that low. I know the Umik mic is calibrated to 10hz my Denon 4520 as well. I have tried using REW numerous times but I never seem to get the desired results plus moving my subs at this point as not going to happen the Dual Opposed cabinet for the HST's weighs approx. 300lbs where the subs are located in the L and R back corners of the room are in the best location considering how my room is laid out. In case you mention this I did not put the subs based on what looks best but what sounded the best and gave the best response.

Suggestions on what to get? 2 weeks 4 days ago #41186

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Boarder
Method B and Method C in the app note don't require that you move the subs. I guess I'm not sure what you're asking for. If you get a Dirac unit but only run some of the subs through it, the result with all subs running will still be wrong.

Suggestions on what to get? 2 weeks 4 days ago #41190

• nwf477
  • Junior Boarder
Sorry if I am not clear try again, Currently when I run a sweep and this after spending hours getting frustrated my response looks maybe fair not as bad as some but not exactly what I call ideal either. The sweep drops off after 10hz which is fine but between 100hz to 10 well it could be much better. There are some that can get a great sweep for lots of different reasons every room is different I understand all I want is get it done the right way and leave it alone. From what I have read some use REW till they get to a certain point then use Audyssey and or Audyssey XT32 to fine tune and their results look fine. Really that is all I want the only person I want to impress is myself as long as it sounds good great. If you think by using what you sent will do the job great!! I would rather not spend anymore money. I agree having 2 DSP's is not exactly the easiest way to do things in fact it stinks. I thought by using the Dirac Live it would eliminate all guess work. Hope this makes better sense possibly??

Suggestions on what to get? 2 weeks 4 days ago #41194

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Boarder
You need to run all three subs through one DSP, like in Figure 2 of the app note I linked. My suggestion would be to simplify your configuration that way, turn off Audyssey, and then run REW on all three subs together. Put the EQ in the input PEQ block (*). Once you've done that, you can try reducing spatial variation with e.g. Method B in the app note.

(*) Are you using the 4-way Advanced plugin?

Suggestions on what to get? 2 weeks 4 days ago #41195

• nwf477
  • Junior Boarder
To answer the question yes I have the 4 way plug in I was also reading about the MSO option is that worthwhile? I am going to try what you suggested this weekend. It may not turn out perfect but the odds that the sweep and sound will be much better. After reading it just seems so much easier then what I have been doing spending hours and gaining little.
Norman

Suggestions on what to get? 2 weeks 4 days ago #41196

• nwf477
  • Junior Boarder
While reading I have another question concerning how to hook this up?
If using a miniDSP 2x4 or 2x4 Balanced, disconnect the AVR from the miniDSP input and connect the output of your soundcard instead.
Right now my system is set up the mini bal. is hooked via USB to my computer my computer is connect to the AVR via HDMI. I am not sure I quite understand this maybe wrong but it almost seems like I disconnect the AVR but then I am only using the test signal from REW playing thru the computer?? Just to make sure I also bypass any and all filters that are currently being used whether they are on the mini or from the AVR. By global eq do you mean Audyssey? Hope I am not being a pain??
Norman

Suggestions on what to get? 2 weeks 4 days ago #41197

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Boarder
If you look at the plugin, you will see one Parametric EQ block towards the left, and four towards the right. The ones on the right control each individual sub (three of them). The one on the left will affect all three subs combined. The Parametric EQ on the left is what the app note means by "global" EQ.

Remember to bypass all the crossover filters in the plugin when doing the measurements.

Also, set the AVR to just use one sub output.

You can run your measurements through the AVR, but you will want to make sure that you disable all EQ/Audyssey in the AVR first. Set the crossover on the sub channel as high as possible. It's easier (I think) to tune the subs if you take the soundcard output from your computer directly into the 2x4 Balanced, then later on reconnect the AVR and check integration with the speakers. However either way can work.

Hope this helps

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: 2 weeks 4 days ago by john.reekie.

Suggestions on what to get? 2 weeks 4 days ago #41198

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Boarder
nwf477 wrote:
I was also reading about the MSO option is that worthwhile?
Norman

It is but it's much more complicated. I'd suggest what I said in post 41194 above then try MSO after that.

Suggestions on what to get? 2 weeks 3 days ago #41201

• nwf477
  • Junior Boarder
another question, looking over Method B you start with one of the subs all filters off on avr set LFE to highest setting etc. take measurements. Here is the question do I take measurements in the same location or 3 different locations, use REW to make adjustments on each measurement then avg the responses then go to the next sub? This time when doing the measurements include response from the average of the first finally after all three are done run REW one more time once finished with all 3??

Suggestions on what to get? 2 weeks 3 days ago #41204

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Boarder
You only do an average measurement at the very end, when using REW to calculate the global EQ.

Before that, you take the three measurements to see if adding the second (third etc) sub reduced the variation between the three measurement locations. If not, adjust the gain or delay of the newest sub added and try again.

Personally, at each step I would just measure the center location and adjust the delay and gain of the newest sub to get the best response. Then check the other two locations.

Suggestions on what to get? 2 weeks 3 days ago #41205

• nwf477
  • Junior Boarder
I think you just confused me? I pick one sub take a measurement then compare with adding the 2nd sub if needed adjust gain or delay then do the same for the 3rd. After all 3 are done then run REW after doing the average for all 3 subs to calculate Global EQ? Not sure if this makes sense? I thought ( wrong ) that you pick a sub to be starting point take 3 measurements from 3 locations combine then run REW to get final measurement for first then move onto the 2nd etc once all 3 done average the 3 responses the run REW 1 last time for the global Eq?? You know this has to be real simple but for what ever the reason I am confused.

Suggestions on what to get? 2 weeks 3 days ago #41207

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Boarder
nwf477 wrote:
I pick one sub take a measurement then compare with adding the 2nd sub if needed adjust gain or delay then do the same for the 3rd. After all 3 are done then run REW after doing the average for all 3 subs to calculate Global EQ?

Correct, except that after adding each sub you still want to check all three measurement locations.

If you just follow the app note carefully it will probably make sense when you do it.

Suggestions on what to get? 2 weeks 2 days ago #41212

• nwf477
  • Junior Boarder
I am assuming you mean go to the plugin screen for the output. It says Delay / Gain/RMS do not mess with the PEQ output correct? When adjusting the gain few dbs at a time and when adjust delay do a ms at a time recheck go up or down accordingly? Just to make sure the only adjustment sub 1 gets is at the end using REW and then its based on the average of all 3?
Just to let you know Really appreciate the help thank you!
Attachments:
Last Edit: 2 weeks 2 days ago by nwf477.
  • Page:
Moderators: devteam
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds